The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a new occ clownfish for my 10g tank. The tank has been cycled and here are my parameters

pH - 8
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 0ish

I just tested the water last night after having my clown for 3 days.
My clown seems to develop a spot or two overnight, because when I come down in the morning I notice there is a noticeable spot. Though by lunch time it goes away. I've done some research and people do say that clowns can get spots when stressed and obviously he is in a new tank so that makes sense, but how long will this go on for?

Also I have been feeding him and he ate a LOT the first day. Then he is gradually not eating anymore. I think I saw him eat one spec of food this morning, he chased the bits around, but never actually ate them. Just touched them. I wanted to know if I should use a variety of food brands. Right now I just have some omega 1 micro marine pellets.

Also on day two he had a large strand of clear "poop" hanging from him. It has since happened every morning, but the strand is getting much shorter. Here is a pic with the much shorter one on day two....kinda hard to see. I have researched this and some say high protein can cause this or internal parasites. I just wanted more opinions if it could be to diet or parasites and what are the best actions. I heard that some sort of prezi0something dosing helps, but I don't want to dose my tank unless I really really really have to.

Attachments

· Registered
77 Posts
this happened to me too when i bought a clownfish. to get him eating alot i would stop using pellets and use mysis shrimp. buy some garlic extract and that will make the fish go crazy for it. if u dont know what the garlic stuff is here is a link
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+19398+5016&pcatid=5016
im sure you can find both of these products at your local fish store. if u go to petco to buy fish stuff im sure they have mysis shrimp and i would buy that. however, i would not go to petco if u do. try to search around for an actually fish store that specializes in saltwater aquariums as most petcos know nothing about wat theyre talkin about.
to get the white poop from going away u can either let it stop on its own or u can use medicine to bring him back to health. im not sure which medicine i used but im sure if u just looked up on google the symptoms ur clown is displaying im sure youll find an aswer. good luck. nice clown:)

· Registered
190 Posts
My fish love pellets. I use New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. My clown has been eating them for 4 years now. I also supplement frozen food a few times a week. I try to stay away from flakes because of the higher phosphates.

· Shark...fish are friends
5,349 Posts
I for the most part have used formula 1 pellets and my clown has been happy with them... I did buy frozen mysis and brine shrimp eggs this past week. I thawed a cube of the mysis and used a turkey baster to suck some of them up out of a bowl and blow them in the tank and my clown went nuts... blew some at each of my corals too and my ricordea yuma grabbed 3 or 4 mysis at once and shoved them all in its mouth, I was kind of shocked to see its mouth open that far! The brine I hatched a few days ago and have been feeding a little bit every day to both my FW and SW tank... just a little bit of brine eggs makes a TON of brine shrimp hatch... I've been feeding 2 tanks for 3 days with them now and still haven't ran out of hatched brine, and my fish seem to go crazy after them too which I was kind of surprised - didn't think they would be able to see them, but must be the movement of them gets their attention...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.