The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Nikon D90 yesterday .. I was so excited to start taking great shots of my tank and coral ... the problem .. all my coral look washed out .. I cant seem to get the color right on them ... also I bought a Macro lens .. I am starting to think I needed the 70-300mm Telephoto lens to get them great close up shots of SPS where you can see the strips and polups ...

Anyhow .. I need help getting the color right .. anyone with a D90 out there that can help me? I am new to Digital Cameras .. however I have been in the photography game for a bunch of years ...

Thanks for any help!

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
No, the macro is what you want for close ups. The 70-300 has a minimum focus distance of almost 5', so you couldnt be anywhere near the tank to get shots. Granted, you can zoom in from that distance, but the macro is the way to go (which macro is it?).

I don't have a nikon (a canon guy, myself), but if things are getting washed out I'd look at two things... white balance and exposure. Personally, I like to under-expose (not sure if that's the correct term) a little when taking shots, and then play around with it with photoshop or something. Over-exposed pictures are hard to recover. You may also consider setting a custom white balance in order to have things come across better.

Do you have any pictures to show as an example?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried messing around with the white balance however its hard to adjust being you can see the new adjustments in live view ... so .. and its a rainbow box of colors (I hope you know what I mean by that) ...

I will mess around with it .. hopefully we will get a D90 guy/Gal in here that can help me set this camera up for great shots! ...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Also, you aren't using the flash when you are taking images are you?
If so... slower shutter speed with a tripod is a necessity...and no flash :)

·
It's Happy Hour Somewhere
569 Posts
An image will assist in determining the issue. :)

Could you post your settings you are using for 1 of the "washed out" images in question?

i.e.
Shutter Speed
Aperture
ISO
Flash (Yes/No)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
As others have mentioned, it sounds like an exposure/white balance issue to me. The macro lens is the one to use. Which lens do you have?

What are your camera settings? It would be important for us to have the EXIF data in order to analyze the situation. If you can post a picture with EXIF data intact, we can take a look at it.

I shoot in RAW with my D90 (I also have a D200) and white balance and exposure can be corrected to a great extent with conversion software. Nikon Capture NX2 or Lightroom 2 will do the job, though those programs aren't free.

Dick:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts