The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I thought old bulbs caused cyano??? I finally got around to replacing my year and a half old VHO bulbs. I switched out a bulb every few days. Now I am getting very small patches of cyano. In 3 years of reefing, I have never had cyano. I'm starting to panic.... But, first I am mixing some salt for a water change and will test the water tomorrow. I am assuming this is from the new bulbs?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Old bubls do not cause cyano or any other algae for that matter. Abundant nutrients are the main fuel for the fire so to speak.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
New bulbs could have sparked the onset but nutrients is the root cause. If it isn't bad yet, you may be able to cure it with a water change, however most times when you get cyano, it will take a while for it to die off on it's own so just be patient and deligent with your water quality and keeping the sandbed clean of detritius if possible.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Agreed. Without nutrients, algae can't grow. Since cyano can fix nitrogen and create its own nitrate, your probably looking at a buildup of dissolved organics as the root cause of the cyano growth. Do you run carbon? Got dirty sand?

BTW, Side Lake eh? :) I was born a Ranger....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts