The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking around on here for some time now, though rarely, if ever have I posted.

I received a new bubble tip anemone today, and after acclimating him I used my hand to place him on a rock ledge, outside of a little cave. He's moved a far bit, and is now back to where I originally placed him though he moved way back into the cave, where there is practically no light. He's quite shriveled up and looks rather awkward at the moment.

The lighting on the tank is 6 x T5 bulbs.. Which I believed would be adequate. Any thoughts of this?

The tank I thought would be mature enough, as it was a transfer over including all the live rock, majority of live sand, the same sump and power heads. Since then it's been running for over 4 months.

I'm aware they like to wander, and he's only been in the tank several hours, and will move around until he's happy.. But it's just worrying me still.

How long should I expect him to move around in a new tank until his moving around indicates something other then him just acclimating? How long do they usually take to open up and settle in?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
243 Posts
i bought i bubble tip 1 1/2 month ago and he still havent found his domain. He moves around every couple days. Which is getting me mad because he stung a few of my corals. :(.. Im just playing the waiting game and hope he finds his ideal spot. Good luck on your BTA

·
Banned
68 Posts
I have a BTA and he is quite a character.. I got him from my local LFS for half price. He was a beautiful, bright green guy, that found his home in a bulkhead intake strainer. Nobody could get him out, so I took him home with me. Bulkhead strainer and all.. After acclimating temp and new water, I set my BTA and his strainer free, and what-do-ya-know, he spends his last 10 seconds in his strainer home... He came dancing right out of it, Happy as can be.. Since then, he has not been able to host my two snobby clowns (that are now sexing, and were put in the tank independently), and he has made it a habit, to either hide behind the work work and wander, or get caught in one of my Koralia powerheads... I guess he misses his bulkhead strainer days... At night however... When only my moonlits are one, he opens up completely, comes out, and does this crazy dance routine in what seems to be in hopes of seducing my clowns into partnership. He actually seems to spin, and chase the clown fish, as they swim away, clueless to his benefit to them.. I don't think he will find a single spot to just sit... Unless I find a way to get the clown's a little more interested in making him feel at home..

·
Registered
773 Posts

How long should I expect him to move around in a new tank until his moving around indicates something other then him just acclimating? How long do they usually take to open up and settle in?

Thanks for any help

Give him a few days... don't feed till it settles down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, it didn't take long for him to settle in a nice crevice at the front of the tank, about midway up. He's opened up so much and I've feed him twice so far :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts