The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 72 gallon bow front, which has been up and running for almost two years now, but am buying a Biocube either 14 or 29 gallon, and my question is, can i take water from my 72 gallon tank to use in the biocube so i dont have to wait for it to cycle?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well i was looking at a few different options, and ended up buying a used Oceanic 29 gal Biocube with a stand and some random supplies for $230, pretty much stole it!. Now if someone can clarify if i can or cant use water and bioballs form my established tank, it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yes you can, but don't count on it not going through a cycle. Let the tank fully cycle on its own. Your not going to get enough bacteria just from the water and a few bio balls. You will get a good start, but the bacteria will need to grow before an established filter is realized.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starting to build it up!

After talking to the the people at the LFS, they said if i took my bioballs from my established tank to use in the new one that i should be able to skip the cycle period. Is there any truth to this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Do your tests and see. Wait to see if the tank cycles. What LFS are you going to?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If wou were bringing rock from your est. tank I would bet thar it doesn't cycle, but with just some balls and water you will prob have some cycle action... IME when I brought all the rock and 1/3 of total water vol I didn't have any cycle...I cheated though... I cured my rock in the intracoastal while I was building the tank. Good luck... It will definitely speed things up for sure!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i took 1/3 of the bioballs from the established tank, and the LFS said water wouldnt be needed, and i put in 15lbs of LR from the LFS when i set it up. Really the only thing i can do is wait and do some tests. I would of taken rock from my other tank, but i finally like how its set up so i dont wanna ruin it lol

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Best to wait and see it it cycles. If the rock from the LFS was cured and you experienced very little to no die off you probably won't see a spike.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When you are in the market for some coral give www.blueearthaquariums.com a shot. They are local growers and I have had good results from everything I bought from them.

They are in west lake worth and for now work from a private residence, but they are good and have quality.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will definitely have to check them out sometime. I am going to wait before i put anything in the tank. I don't want to rush it like i did my big one. About how long would you say i should start testing? and what should i test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would test all four every day for the first week or two during start up. Log the results so you can see if you have any type of spikes.

Most of blue earth's frags are pretty decent size.

In a few months when everything stabilizes you should look them up. Last time I was there they had a bunch if LR that had good growth and great size and shape.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The live rock should cause a cycle. The aquarium needs to cycle. If the rock doesn't cause a cycle, use a piece of raw shrimp.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far all is good

Salinity 1.023
Nitrites =0
Nitrates Less than 10 on a 0-100 mg/l test
Amm=0
Ph 8.4

Dont have a phosphate test so not sure there :(

However, i did get two free mushroom hitch hikers that seem to be doing fine, they might be able to be my unlucky test subjects for awhile!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Time will tell. Say, turn that rock up so the poor little mushroom doesn't get smashed (ha, ha).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea i just did when i added some more rock. I didnt see them when i first put the rocks in, also noticed some other stuff growing on the other rock, looks like it might be some sort of leather, but cant really tell. I think its still way to soon to tell if its going to cycle or if its going to "skip" the cycle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

So i saw a slight spike in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so i decided it was time to try a few blue/green chromis.

I also decided to take a rock i bought for my other tank last week out and put it and a few other small ones in as well.

How do you like the set up?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
So on the 22nd you bought the tank. The 26th you saw a spike. And now you switch rock and add fish. It looks good, but in my opinion you need to slow down. Let the tank establish somewhat stable parameters. Figure out the natural flucuations your tank will have on a daily basis and then plan out the rest of your tank. It is 29 gallons, so every addition you make will add to the complexity.

Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts