The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have eight new baby bangers I took from barneys mouth on saturday Night.
Those of you who were waiting please post here if you still want them and anyone else who would like one may post as well. First come first served and I know two people wanted them at the time of the last batch so that leaves six to be adopted left.
They should be eating prepared foods in a few weeks.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm one of the ones that are waiting. Not sure if you already counted me or not, but just in case, I still want one. Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK,
Ernie....got one
Chad...Got one
Trung (you were one of those already on the list)....got one
Dennis (should be ok with both, but when they are tiny my peppermint shrimp will eat em) ...Got one
Tommy....Got one

Two left for sure maybe three if I can't remember who the other promised one was to :eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's a link to a pic of one of the last batches in my nano.
I am sure you all know what they all look like but it was a good pic so what the heck.
baby Bangers

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've lost count, but I'm very interested if there are any left. What do you want for them? If you have enough (now or in the future at some point) could take several to live with my longspine urchin...would be way cool.

I'd like to try to get a pair established at some point.

Bill

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Matt - I got a Potters for my birthday, so I'm maxed out on fish. If there's no one else on the waiting list, cap can have the one that you were going to give me.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Mnreefgeek,
Thanks!

Toyfreak,
I just sow your mentione in your other thread of only one per person to avoid inbreeding. Makes sense. I'm glad to see that folks are paying attention to such matters.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Dr. Capman, I believe SawCJack may have some as well. I hope to get one from him. The one I received from Matt is doing well. Supposedly they can be sexed, so I'd like to get one to establish a pair as well.
Derek

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Does anyone in the club know how to sex them reliably?

I have one (a female, because I have seen her release eggs several times without a mate) in my origianl reef tank. She lived with another Bangaii that supposedly was her mate (they were bought as a pair) for several years but never seemed to tolerate each other much. A few years ago she suddenly got really aggressive and killed that fish.

I also have another newer fish in a different tank. I'd like to try pairing them up, but I don't dare put the newer fish in the main reef tank for fear of the new fish being killed by the female, and I can't try this in another tank because I can't get the female out of the reef without tearing apart the reef. I might try pairing them in the reef though if I had some idea of the sex of the second one.

I'm thinking though that my best bet is probably to just try to get a few more to try pairing them with my newer fish (the one mentined above that I have now) in a tank where I can rescue one or the other fish if it is getting attacked.

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
i think you lift a fin, and look for tell-tale signs of the fish's sex

i could be wrong tho

sorry, had to just insert some humor here :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Some fish (e.g., at least some cichlids) can be sexed by flipping them over and looking at the shape of the vent, so your joke is actually not all that far-fetched.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
I believe that you can tell their sexes by looking at their mouths (beyond the, "he must be a guy, since he's holding the eggs/fry" type of thing). One has more of a prominent jaw/lower lip vs the other. The only thing is that they have to be 1-1/2" or so to be able to tell.
Derek

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sexing

Sexing the Bangaii Cardinal is almost impossible unless they have bred before as the males jaw will be permantly bowed from holding for 30 days. here's some tips that "could Help"
1. the male should be the one with the larger "banner" from the dip of the dorsal fin (small flesh tag that looks like a flag) unless a fish has nipped it off during holding.
2. the female will in most cases be the larger of the two if they are truley mature.
3. the male should have a more rounded over all appearance the female should be more squareish.
4. if the female is of breeding age she will display "night" coloration when she is ready to do the shimmy More grey than silver and the black is faded.
5. my personal theory.....The nose spot of the female is bell shaped and the male is flying saucer shaped, (this is not proven but has worked for me several times)
Other than that it is a crapshoot from what I have observed and read.
GL,
Toy
PS. they are accepting chopped seafood but small still should be a week or so more.

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
BTW

will you be at meeting tonight toy ??

i think I should have zoonathids ready attached on rock, I will check before I leave and if so, I will bring it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts