The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My lights finally came in after much nail biting, after they were gone, toe nail biting and after that I went after my kids' nails.....sure they ran...but didn't get far.:help:

Now my big question is how long do you leave lights on for? I have a 36" Long with 192 pc's. Right now I still have the timer on the old 8 hours per day. The dang stand that came with the lights will need some tweaking, but other than that everything is working great. Anyone have an opinion on this one <------- :) :funny: Asking for an opinion on this forum is like asking a crack addict if he would like some crack!

By the by... I am now on the hunt for softies and maybe...just maybe an LPS or two. I will definately be stopping by Atlantis this Thursday for Friday......:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: I'm in business finally....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I run my daylights (Halides) for 7 hours & my Actinics for 11 hours. In your case you will only be able to run the lights 6-8 hours maximum since they are on the same switch. 6 minimum is needed for Corals. After that, It's for you and the algae. :)

·
Rob's Reef Owner
395 Posts
After that, It's for you and the algae.
So 6 hours is all the light corals need? Wouldn't 12 hours be better, since they come from the tropics, which has nearly 12/12 day and night year round?

Or are your lights brighter than the sun?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe I said 6 hours is the "minimum" needed for Corals.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Think of this, stationary lights over a tank are simulating 12:00 high noon. Is the sun directly overhead 12 hrs a day? IMO & so I've been told by some that 6 hrs min.is all that's needed. I run my VHO Actinics from 5Pm - 1Am. My 3 - 400 watt M/H run from 6PM to 12AM. Everything does just fine. And not all corals come from the equator region. In the store, because our hours are from 10AM to 8 Pm, we run our lights from 9Am- 9PM. Imo, anything more than 8 hours you have more heat, resulting in more evaportation,algae,shorter life span on your bulbs & a higher light bill. At one time when I had a life(before store), I ran my lights for 12 hours. Cutting back to 6 hours the only thing I've noticed is my chiller runs less,I don't have to add as much water, less algae & my corals & fish are all as happy as a clam.

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
sea devil said:
Think of this, stationary lights over a tank are simulating 12:00 high noon. Is the sun directly overhead 12 hrs a day? IMO & so I've been told by some that 6 hrs min.is all that's needed. I run my VHO Actinics from 5Pm - 1Am. My 3 - 400 watt M/H run from 6PM to 12AM. Everything does just fine. And not all corals come from the equator region. In the store, because our hours are from 10AM to 8 Pm, we run our lights from 9Am- 9PM. Imo, anything more than 8 hours you have more heat, resulting in more evaportation,algae,shorter life span on your bulbs & a higher light bill. At one time when I had a life(before store), I ran my lights for 12 hours. Cutting back to 6 hours the only thing I've noticed is my chiller runs less,I don't have to add as much water, less algae & my corals & fish are all as happy as a clam. /quote]

But are your clams happy as clams!?!:lol:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Reef Aquarium, Volume One by J.Charles Delbeek & Julian Sprung. Read chapter 6 for starters. There is also a volume 2 & volume 3

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
I run my t5s for about 7 hours, moonlights from there on out. Oddly enough, every third Wednesday of every month, the lights stay off all day. I just think they need a break and its kind of a dark night they experience in the wild every so often. Yeah, call me crazy:)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would run them at least 8 hours, there is a big difference between 400 MH and yours. You can still get sun burned at 8:00 in the morning or 4:00 in the afternoon.

From 8 hours you can play with the time after a while.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There is no "six or eight hour maximum". I run my 10Ks for 10 hours and see a difference from when I was at 8 hours. I am thinking about increasing my lighting more. Light times depends on your type of lights and your corals.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Mike and JOhn--- I have tested diffrent light parementers on my tank. REMEMBER I have a 55G with tremendous lights. They are 4x56w overdriven by icecap 660 to about 80watts a piece. My tank with the fans gets hot, just ask doug. Have him tell you how bright my t-5 setup is to his 2 x250 and 1 x400 and 2 vho actinics on his 180g. I also do not have sps, like you mike. Actually I have some caps, but they can deal with the lps warfare it seems.

I have run unit longer, somehow my zoos respond better with an extra hour or so actinics. I am currently runnig the new uv bulbs and we will see how long I will run them.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nobody has said anything about maximum. I think every tank is a different situation with what corals,lighting,water flow,feeding habits & water quality you have. Every tank & every person is different. What works for you may not work for me. What works for me & you may not work for John Doe. From what I have read, 6 hrs min is required. The max will depend on personal preference. I burn "XM" 20k 400MH for six hrs with VHO actinic for 8 hrs. I have tried several different "burn times", from 6hrs to 14 hrs. I may not be getting the rapid growth that I would achieve with longer burn times. That's not what I'm after. If I was looking for that, I'd have 10k & loner burn time. All my corals, from zoas, mushrooms, LPS & SPS show growth, awesome color & are healthy. Let's not turn this into a pi_ _ ing match. Let's try to help the "NEWBIE". But then again too much info may as bad as not enough. What I have done over the years is taken all the advise, weaned out the bad, compiled all the rest & have come up with what works for me. I have lost some fish & coral over the years, as we all have for what ever reason. jjaalmaraz, BEST OF LUCK to you

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Waynesworld<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_751345", true); </SCRIPT>

I think the point being made is what is a good starting range and adjusting from there. If your tank is getting hot than that can affect the time you can run a light. However, with 192 watts of PC lighting I feel that 8 hours would be a the bare minimum I would start at.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I keep mine on alot more than you guys. I run my 8 X T5's 4 of them start at 9am until 8pm and the other 4 come on at 11am until 6pm.
My big tank varies all day starting with 2 actinics from 9am - 9pm the other 2 VHO's start at 11am-7pm and the 3x 250 MH come on from 12pm- 6pm. On cloudy/rainy days I leave the MH off or just turn the middle one on for awhile, but I always run the VHO's. My refugium stays on 24/7. Maybe I am giving my reef's the South American tropic treatment :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts