The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after nearly three years of fighting high water temps I finally broke down and bought a chiller for the 300. Water temps would peek at 86 sometimes. I tried everything to avoid it but it was not to be. I tried lessing the time the lights were on with no luck. 5 fans in the hood and another blowing into the sump did not work so I finally ordered one.

My goal was to find the quietest, most efficient chiller out there and I think I came close. I chose the Arctica 1/3 hp model. I ordered it last week and got it on Friday. After a trip to Menards for some 3/4" hose and a few fittings, it was up and running in about an hour. I spliced it into an existing closed loop and turned everything on and checked for leaks. Everything looked good so I set the electronic temp control to 78. The tank temp was 84 but started to drop 1 degree an hour. After about 6 hours it was 78 and has stayed there since. It cycles on when the temp goes 1 degree above the set point and off when it goes 1 degree below the set point. On my tank the chiller runs about 15 min every 1 to 1-1/2 hours durring the hottest part of the day. The chiller is pretty quiet but not silent like I read in some reviews. It's in the same room as my T.V. and it doesn't bother me at all. Overall I'm very happy with it. It does what it's supposed to fairly quietly and efficiently. It uses 5.4 amps, lower then most comparable chillers. It was a snap to hook up and the price was reasonable. $809 delivered. Oh yea, it comes with a two year warantee.
If you would like to read more about the specs:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller.html

A few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Thanks for the info on that chiller! When I upgrade to a bigger tank I plan on having a chiller as well!:)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"OH don't forget lower temps mean slower metabolisms. Adjust accordingly."

Does that mean us Floridians are going to die before everyone else? ;)

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Yes my corals do seem happy. The softies no longer "wilt" like they did when temps got too hot. Jerel brings up a good point about metabolism. I've been feeding the tank a little less because of the cooler temps.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. It was pointed out to me that the amps I listed above could be wrong. On the box it says 7.25 amps. On the site I bought it from (and a few others) it says 4.8:
http://www.sevenseasonline.com/images/CHILLERJBJ1.jpg
I called JBJ the distributor but no one answered ??? The actual chiller says 1/3 hp/ 115 volts with no amps listed.
Bob

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you have the wattage rating of the chiller, you can divide the watts by 115 volts and get the ballpark amperage draw.

Looks good... I'm going to be looking into a chiller soon myself. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 1/3hp Arctica's been running beautifully since thursday. took all of 15 minutes to hook up (I'm lazy and use flexible tubing!). called their tech support (310/672-0480) on the amperage question - 7.25 is starting amps, 4.8 is running amps.

Seems perfectly sufficient for my system: 180g (~150g) tank + 100g sump; 750W of HQIs. Haven't had any days over 85 yet...

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for clearing that up mad coder. I wasn't able to get through to tech support.

·
Registered
358 Posts
RWD,

You are very timely. I was on the brink of purchasing one of these over the weekend. I heard it operate at my LFS. They want 900.00 for the 1/4hp, on the net I'm seeing 739.00, free shipping and no sales tax.

What was holding me back was valuable input like your post provides. Thank you!!!

I currently have a Custom SeaLife 1/4hp and it sounds like a 747 running up engines in our living room. The Arctica tech support did not respond to my query about decibals. I read the Pacific Coast is supposed to run at 44db.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts