The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just joined the the site yesterday and thought i'd say hi and get some advice. I am a total newb to all of this. I just bought a 90 gal tank and 30 gal sump/refuge. I need some help as to what i should put in the 30 gal. Im looking to set it up for filtration and refuge. I was hoping ppl can post up pics so i can get an idea of how to go. The 30 gal tank is separated into 3 sections with the middle being the biggest.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello, Wecome to TRT! I don't know anything about sumps - I don't have one - but I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice here. Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Post a pic of what you have. (note you will have to have five post before you can post a pic.) that way we get an idea of what we are talking about.

usually a fuge contains Miracle Mud and something like cheato algae. some rubble rock. run the fuge light on the opposite cycle as the tank lights.

as far as filters I run a filter sock, some active carbon, a protein skimmer, a UV Sterilizer, and my refugium.

The live rock in the display tank is going to be the biggest filter of the entire system. the sump is a place to put equipment you don't want to see in the display and room for additional water to create more stability in the system.

also tell us what you what IE: reef tank, live rock fish only, or some other idea??

what kind of lighting did you get, what kind of over flow system hang on back or is the tank drilled?

Welcome to TRT btw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also tell us what you what IE: reef tank, live rock fish only, or some other idea??

what kind of lighting did you get, what kind of over flow system hang on back or is the tank drilled?

Welcome to TRT btw.
I will be doing a reef tank. My tank is drilled. The lighting that came with the tank are 2 metal halide lights and 4 actinics under the hood. There is also a small light setup for the sump/refuge.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track.

the best advice I can give is Take your time, post a lot, find some people that have something to offer look at how long they have been here and what else they have to say on other threads.

there is a lot of great experience here and folks are always willing to share their knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a test leak on my tank today and decided to turn on all the equipment. Looks like everything is working ok but my skimmer seems to be not making much bubbles. Its attached to a 500 gph pump. Is it supposed to be that way or does it sound like i need a new pump? Its made by odyssea.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
was your leak test with fresh or salt water?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts