The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new kind of algae that is growing from several pieces of LR. It is very thin, over 2" tall, white at the base and a vivid green on the tip. It sort of looks like a pipe cleaner. There are over 20 "stalks" on my rock.

What kind of algae is this and is it ok or should I make an extra effort to get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Clay Murphey said:
...It is very thin, over 2" tall, white at the base and a vivid green on the tip. It sort of looks like a pipe cleaner...
Pix would help tremendously, as whawt you think might look like a pipe cleamight be considerably different from what I would, or Andy or Doug, Chas, etc.

Pix will help with some of the alga keys, as will some pointed questions once we have some good close-up in-focus photos from several angles of the algal specimen. Make sure to include shots of places where the thallus divides/bifuricates, as well as the base and any rhizoid-type appendages.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah, i know what ure talkinga bout, they never became problematic for me, never seemd to exactly help either though, id just tear it away, cuz i thought htey looked too funky and out of place. they come fromt he atlantic ocean, since ive seent ehm while scuba diveing before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That sounds like 'fuzzy tipped algae', which I am begining to have a problem with. Evidently, it is prevelent in the keys, and probably got into my tank from some TBSW live rock that the previous owner had. I sent a note to a couple of the cultured rock companies, and they are familiar with it. Unfortunately, they don't know of anything that eats it nor how to stop it. I recommend mechanical removal before it starts to get out of hand as it has on my rocks.

I received the following reply to my question from Edie at reeftopia:

Hi Phil,

To the best of our knowledge it does seem to be fuzzy tip alga.
It has never been a problem in a reef tank that we know of so we do not have the experience you are looking for. But................we can tell you what we do know. This alga is noticed by our divers growing on the reef as summer is setting in and the water heats up. So one remedy may be to cool your water to 74 degrees or below and that should at least slow the growth down. The book we have says that it often grows in shaded areas, so more light?.....................We also see it growing on the edges of our canals in shallow water in full sun so the book theory doesn't go along with what we actually see happening.
The book does not give any information on how to rid yourself of the fuzzy tip alga.
I even did a quick online search and came up empty handed with the exception of one site that gave a listing of algae's and then a list of pest algae's and the fuzzy tip algae was there but not on the pest list. So at least it may not be sucking valuable nutrients from the water.
Our expert hears says that he would try emerald crabs, doesn't think snails will touch it.
I'm sorry we don't know more but, would love to hear updates on how your doing and if you find something that works.
Edie/Reeftopia

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Like Tom said without a good pic it is hard to be certain but most likely it's Neomeris annulata. I have allways herd the common name "Pipe Cleaner Algae" associated with it. It can be found from the intertidal zone to as deep as 30 meters.

It can become a slight pest but is easy to manually remove. I have never seen anything eat it.

I got this identification from "Marine Plants of the Caribbean" page 52/53 bottom desc and pic.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
ive had that algea in all my tanks. it likes light. i always consider it desirable its one of the best looking algeas ive come across. never seen any harmful effects from it. the way i see it,if you have an algea that's not bothering anything leave it alone, because as soon as you get rid of that algea another ones sure to move in it's place

·
Registered
98 Posts
it is not a bad algae, i probably gave it to you on a rock. it does eat up a lot of calcium, just pluck it out when it gets to much

alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.