The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up two sea urchins and yellow tang last night. There was a beautiful powder blue but I was afraid to spent $80 and have it die. I don't know why I have such trouble with anything other than small fish. I have 7 other small fish that range from 2.5 to 8 months in my tank with no problems but any time I add a larger fish it only lasts a few months. My water q is great with 0 nitrate and very low phosphates. I keep my Ph in the safe range and typically @ 8.3 What am I doing wrong? I do believe I killed a few with ammonia burn due to living 1.5 hours to the closest LFS. My understanding is after floating the bag for minutes it's best to cut and dump rather that a slow acclimation witch turns fish urine to ammonia and burning there lungs.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I would float for temp acclimation, but never dump the water from the bag into your tank.... use a net to transfer. Otherwise you're just dumping in all that ammonia into your tank. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
125g rr

20w uv

euro reef CS8-3 with 900gph

MH in hood 2 - 175w XM 10K and 1 - 250w
2 - 48" VHO 8 month old actinic

mag 18 return

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also have a maxi 900 and a tunze nanostream 4500
Water tests are very good
I think I have high nutrient levels though

I'm also not convinced drip acclimation is the best. I think that's how ammonia burn happens. I think this is widely argued.

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
I have a thoery, not saying it is right or wrong and I am not recomending this, just a theory. I do a lot of snorkling and the current can bring in water that is significantly colder than the water that was just in the same spot. Hense, the fish experience dramatic temperature fluctuation in their natural habitat, I'm not sure aclimation to temperature is all that important. Just minimize the stress on the fish during transport as much as possible, keep the bag dark, try to keep the fish stable and calm and get it in the tank as gently and quickly as possible. Fish may get "ick" (cryptocaryon) due to stress from other factors and we just atribute it to the temperature change. Like I said just a theory :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts