The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm pretty upset with myself right now. I KNEW the proper acclimation procedures (as learned online), but I decided to follow the LFS dude's instructions instead. Why? I don't know. Lack of sleep or sheer stupidity, take your pick.

The day before we picked up five trochus snails, a decent size rock encrusted with green star polyps, and a yellow watchman goby. We would have picked up more snails, but they didn't have much in stock at the moment and said they'd have more after new year.

After the three were bagged, I asked the LFS dude the million dollar question. How would you suggest I acclimate these? He said to float the coral and the fish for around 15m to get them accustomed to the temperature. And then to plop them in. I remember I was surprised. I asked for confirmation, so he asked for my salinity. Mine's at 1.025, LFS at 1.023. He confirmed what he stated. He did say that the snails had to be drip acclimated. So I spent the greater part of an hour and a half standing over a bucket with a plastic syringe.

In goes the star polyps. In goes the yellow watchman goby (put him in with a net). In goes the snails (placed by hand onto LR on substrate).

A few polyps opened an hour or so later. Then they closed and a few on the other side opened. Today (a day later), none of the polyps were open. I moved them to the substrate, thinking maybe the flow was too strong where they were before. We'll see (hope) that they open.

Four out of five snails are alive and ... doing what snails do. I can't see the fifth in the tank, but I'm sure he'll show up.

The goby had disappeared soon after he was introduced to the tank. We spent a good deal of time trying to locate him in the jungle of live rock, but we gave up and acknowledged that we'd see him when we'd see him. Today my bf comes to me and tells me he found the goby.

Dead.

Lying on the substrate by a rock. I ask, "You sure?" He replies, "Yes."

So I take a pair of chopsticks and take the poor guy out.

I'm mad at myself. Shoulda known better. A thousand internet posts on acclimating vs. one LFS guy. I'm quite PO-ed at myself at the moment, but I figure I'd share so that any new people who come around will see this and learn from my idiocy.

Will my coral survive it's ordeal? I hope so. I don't want another death on my conscience.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry about your watchman, your polyps should be ok, they are very hardy. It might take a few days for them to adjust to your tank but they should come around.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Sorry for your loss :( The polyps should be OK although they may take a while to open thats normal for them they can be quite moody

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I'm not sure your acclimation caused the YWG's death it's possible but to acclimate fish I only float then add water from the tank every 15-20 minutes for about an hour then net them from the bag to the tank. I just picked up 6 fish from a friend and wasn't able to acclimate them at all and so far they are all fine.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Your coral should be fine... and as dobejazz said, it may not have been your acclimation that killed your goby, they are pretty tough fish. However if you must float, you got the first part right, but after the first 15 mins, you should have punched holes in the bag to let the water mix for the next 20 or so, but I am sure you knew that already, didn't you? :)

·
My Kitty Cleans My Glass!
974 Posts
I am beginning to think that fish can have a rough ride home and this is the second trip in a short time. I think that this will play a toll on them as well. Infact, my belief is that it can be hit or miss. Our good practices on acclimation are excellent if done right and can save a fish life, but ultimately I think that it really depends on how well the fish has regained its strength from the trip to the LFS. Then, is it a hardy fish that can withstand more stress than some others, is the next question.

I think keeping up good acclimation practices, and knowing how the fish arrived, and how long it has had to adjust to the LFS condition, is a key thing as well.

I am also sorry for the loss. Keep up the efforts!

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Your coral should be fine... and as dobejazz said, it may not have been your acclimation that killed your goby, they are pretty tough fish. However if you must float, you got the first part right, but after the first 15 mins, you should have punched holes in the bag to let the water mix for the next 20 or so, but I am sure you knew that already, didn't you? :)

Hmm you let the LFS water in your tank ? I always thought that was bad ?
I open the bag and pour water in then net the fish out with out ever letting the LFS water in my tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just rechecked my water chemistry.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5-10 (hard to differentiate the colors)
Calcium >520 (is that ok? or is my test wrong/old)
dKH 10
Phosphates 0
Temp 80F
Salinity 1.025

Anything else I should check for?

Found a hitch hiker on my new green star polyps. It's a small snail, maybe 2mm long, shell is oval-ish and around 1mm and it's soft body is about the size of the snail's shell and it kinda drags behind the shell. The shell is whitish with beige-brown "marbling".

Another thing I saw in the green star polyps: Tentacles. Longest one is maybe a centimeter long. It's beige-white with brown stripes. They were easy to see because the polyps aren't out. Is that normal? They wave and curl at times. Pretty to look at, but I have no idea what they are. (I hope it's normal/good/not harmful.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I got any LFS water in my tank. If I did it wass a negligible amount. The fish I caught with a net and put into the tank. It was out of water for less than two seconds.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hmm you let the LFS water in your tank ? I always thought that was bad ?
I open the bag and pour water in then net the fish out with out ever letting the LFS water in my tank
Yes, your idea is a much better one. I would not just put any LFS water into my tank either. Actually, I dont buy from LFS, I buy from someone who sells out of thier home, and I trust his water 100% so for me its not a worry. Sorry, I guess I should have said that. Although once or twice I have put LFS water into my tanks, I do try to avoid it as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I only float and lost a cleaner shrimp that way. It is possible that the fish was sick when you got him or he was harvested with cyanide (very comman practice and no way to know if in fact it was) I think you wanting to acclimate in the best way is great and responible. Dont automatically blame yourself. Fish die in the hobby, its an unpleasant fact.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Sorry for your loss. The gsp should be fine, it took mine over a week to open back up. Also not sure the goby died from lack of acclimating since I have had to add fish without acclimating on occasion and they did fine. I also never add lfs water to my tank, especially fish because many use medications to treat ich and whatnot and that is the last thing I want in my tank.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I just rechecked my water chemistry.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5-10 (hard to differentiate the colors)
Calcium >520 (is that ok? or is my test wrong/old)
dKH 10
Phosphates 0
Temp 80F
Salinity 1.025

Anything else I should check for?

Found a hitch hiker on my new green star polyps. It's a small snail, maybe 2mm long, shell is oval-ish and around 1mm and it's soft body is about the size of the snail's shell and it kinda drags behind the shell. The shell is whitish with beige-brown "marbling".

Another thing I saw in the green star polyps: Tentacles. Longest one is maybe a centimeter long. It's beige-white with brown stripes. They were easy to see because the polyps aren't out. Is that normal? They wave and curl at times. Pretty to look at, but I have no idea what they are. (I hope it's normal/good/not harmful.)
Justa guess on the hitchhikers - the snail could be a stomatella snail and the tenticles are possibly from a mini brittle star

this link has some good hitchhiker info http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts