The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first of all I want to thank all the members of this forum. I have been reading your posts for almost a month now, and have learned quite a bit. Still I have some "newbie" questions. I kept a 75 gallon fish only marine tank about 20 years ago, but have been out of it for a long time and much has changed. My set-up is as follows

90 gallon Aqueon with megaflow built in overflow kit
home made 20 gallon sump
Coral life T5 flourecent lighting
Hydor 700DP Performer Protein Skimmer
Danner Supreme Classic 1200 GPH Return Pump
80 pounds of dry base rock
60 pounds of Live sand in sump and 1" in tank
Coral life 200 watt heater

I know this list isn't perfect, but unfortunately, despite my ardent pleas, budget is still an issue with my wife. Thanks to my LFS, I am only into this for a little over $1000 dollars so far, and everything is brand new. I figure I can upgrade things later as I get more iinto it.

Anyway, my current situation is that I have had the tank running for 4 days now. I had planned to put the live rock in now, but my LFS is advising me to wait a couple of weeks. The problem is, I have no signs of cycling yet. Ph 8.2, Amonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. I have read about the shrimp method, but am concerned that if the tank cycles before putting the live rock in, is it possible I would need to cycle the tank again later? From my reading, it seems to me I should put the live rock (I plan to mainly put it in my sump, with only a couple of small pieces to seed the tank) in now, and try and let that start the cycle. I did add (again at the suggestion of my LFS) a dose of Quick Start by API on the first day, but I can't believe this would cycle the tank? Looking for any advice you can give. Should I put it in now, or wait?

Again sorry if this is a newbie question, but then again, that is what I am!

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Hi Dave,

You should drop in a jumbo shrimp from the grocery. This will get your cycle started. I would to wait on the LR, If you can wait for your Ammonia and Nitrates to Zero out, then put in your LR to seed the Dry Base Rock.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is what I will do. I was just afraid that by waiting, I was prolonging the cycle. I want to be patient and do this right, but as I am sure you know, it's not easy. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts