The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! Its been awhile since i've been on so I made a new account.

I finally set up my 72 in wall bowfront tank! I had to move over the inhabitants of my 8 gallon right after set up though cause it was right on the verge of a terrible crash (started the tank off on the wrong foot a few years ago when I set it up, I was a noob...). The tank is in the final stages of the cycle I believe; I went through Diatoms and am now finishing with Cyano and green film. Everything is starting to finally clear up :)

However I have noticed something major; evaporation. I have never owned a tank this size so Im not quite sure if this is normal or not but wow water is evaporating like crazy! The water level in the third chamber of my sump with the return drops so quickly! I have to keep it high to avoid a ton of microbubbles. In this past week I went through 10 gallons of Salt and RO combined with top off in the third chamber.

The room gets kinda of warm when the lights are on, but with the recent addition of the Honeywell fan it has helped significantly with temperature in the room.

Just wondering if anyone has some advice on dealing with evaporation and how much the tank should be evaporating.

Sorry for the long post! will post photos soon!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
RO/DI (without salt) for evap only. I can easily go through 10g in a week. I do have a fan on a controller so if it gets hot, the fan blows across the surface.

My other concern is the bow-front itself... I think the bow needs to be supported from the bottom and can not be hanging out of the wall like that... there is a lot of pressure of that front plate.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
My other concern is the bow-front itself... I think the bow needs to be supported from the bottom and can not be hanging out of the wall like that... there is a lot of pressure of that front plate.
+1 that's a lot of weight hanging out. My 72 uses at least a gallon a day. Check the salinity in your tank its probably really high

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using mainly R/O for top off, but the salinity went too low in the middle of the week so I had to add some salt water to bring it back up to 1.025. And the bow isn't hanging out of the wall unsupported, The whole stand top is underneath it.Everything is being completely supported, I had the LFS comeout and look at the design before we filled the tank to make sure everything would be structurally sound. So is this amount of evaporation normal for the tank?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes it is normal. I have a 72gal BF myself. I got tired of adding water everyday so I went and bought a ATO unit. Saves me so much time! It's great. I would consider getting one if I were you..

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Is there a block/plate/piece of wood under the tank?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Theres the shelf that my sump is on then underneath it is the template I used to cut the Calico stand top that the tank is sitting on.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
still confused, is there a solid base supporting the front "bow" pane of the tank giving the tank structural support?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the top the tank is sitting on extends out under neath the bow. and its also got part of the wall underneath it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts