The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE id=post16032109 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" id=td_post_16032109 class=alt1>
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->(This was also posted on RC, but, I've always liked this forum best...:wavey: Hi, from a returning TRTer and BRW!:D)

I've been dying to set up a new tank, so, when my 6g nano sprung a leak a couple weeks back, I decided to move up to a 29 and have been trying to assemble the components to get this going. My little bits of coral and liverock from the 6g are doing reasonably well in a 4g bucket, so, I am going to try out some things I've been interested in trying with this as funds allow. I love the look of the foam and rock wall tanks I've seen here and on that other place and I really wanted to try it out on this new setup, so, here it goes.

Current equiptment includes;
*standard 29g aquarium - new
*wrought iron double tank stand - new
*Viper 70w hqi clamp-on lamp (this will be temporary until I can afford to upgrade) - about 1yr old
*unknown brand of siphon overflow (no guts/no glory...just can't bring myself to put a drill against a brand-new glass tank!) - used
* Seio Prop 1000 powerhead for main circulation - new
* Cap 2200 OR Rio 3100 return pumps - both used
* one of two POS skimmers... either a SeaClone 150 or a Turbo-Skimmer(if I can figure it out, lol!) a good skimmer is on my wishlist!
* 40lb bag of aragonite sand (will add more. I'm going for a deepsand bed of about 4")
*20g high for sump - used (this needs to be leak tested yet as it has been in storage for years. I would actually prefer a new 20L and may go that route if I can swing it befor the whole setup is ready for water.)
*25lbs of liverock...now dead and dried out for this project
*approximately 10-15lb of live rock, some live sand, and, a few coral frags from my 6gal.

Last night I started work on the rock wall. This was a fun puzzle/sculpture process and I spent all day snipping eggcrate and drilling holes in rock. Used a whole bag of zipties and scavanged the pvc fittings I bought to make a pvc overflow with to support the rockwall. (I did make the pvc overflow and it was a pretty neat design by Craig ? this one: http://www.nd.edu/~lego/grp2/www/ree...rflow_1024.jpg
but I decided it was just too big for this tank.
Here are pics up to where I am at on this now.

Plans for this tank include painting the back of the tank blue, perhaps a nice aqua, or, since this is more a deepwater reef with the low lighting, a deeper ultramarine blue... the possibilities boggle the mind! I like the open top look, so, I think I will have to get a plexiglass cover to keep the carpet surfers in (I'm partial to the little rocket-wrasses), also, planning a deepsand bed and would like to try a jawfish in this one...this will be predominately lps and a few soft corals and fish-wise I want a very peaceful, passive community including cardinals (sm. herd of orange line or blue-streaks), a jawfish, flasher wrasses and perhaps a pair of ocellaris or pink skunk clowns.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" class=alt2>I used all 25lbs of dry rock on the structure and ran out, but, I just decided to add shelves to place the liverock and corals. In the last pic, I added a cover to hide the Seio pump and may add a small shelf to it as well. All the eggcrate and pvc will be covered with the black pond foam and sand, and, I also intend to foam the overflow box so that it blends in as well. My next step is to do the foaming, but, I only have one can and I suspect that it will not be enough even if I try to be as sparing as possible in using it.

Does anybody know if pvc cement can be used to cover the foam instead of using the epoxy resin? I have used the pvc cement in the past to create a permanent fake sandbed on the bottom of a 55g and it worked very well. It would be much cheaper than the epoxy. Any opinions on this?

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --><!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Sorry, I have not gotten back to this, yet. I did pick up a new 20L to use as a sump today, and, a can of 'Blue Ocean Breeze' Krylon for the back glass. LOL! on the name of that paint color! It is a light turquois...should be really nice as a background color. :) While I was in Petsmart, I asked the manager if the Top Fin tanks could be drilled or if he could find out if they used tempered glass on all sides. He said they could not get in touch with the manufacturers which is why Petsmart offered a complete warrenty on thier tanks...hmmm, ok. Has anyone here ever drilled a Top Fin tank successfully?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some searches and found that Top Fins are made by Aqueon and based on the info on thier website this tank does not use tempered glass. Some of the larger tanks do use tempered on the bottom, but, it looks like they used plate on all the sides.
Anyway, I really want to drill this tank, so, I have been holding off on the rockwork until that is done so I can fit the rockwork around the plumbing. I've ordered a diamond hole saw bit and expect to start drilling practice holes in all my old dormant tanks sometime next week. If all goes well, I should have two neat, 1 3/4" holes ready to go. My current plan now, lol...this seems to change constantly!, is to silicone in a small glass overflow inside (or, I'm also considering a coast-to-coast) and a glass return outside. I want to get as much equiptment clutter out of the display as I can. So, that is the plan. I'll update as soon as I have something new to add. Wish me luck with the drilling! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I finally drilled my tank today...and it didn't crack!:banana: I have to make an overflow for it next, which won't happen until after the holidays. Once that is done and I get the plumbing and sump worked out, I'll get back to the rock wall. I may end up changing everything around once I start on it again, but, hopefully there won't be so many stops once I reach that stage.

Here are a few pics of my drilling experience. Over all I was very happy with the outcome...and very relieved that I didn't kill the tank, lol! I practiced two holes on my 20h first, then jumped in and did the 29. Can't wait to get water in this thing!

I used a plywood guide to keep the drill bit from skittering around at the start of drilling. Plumbers Putty was used to make the wells to hold water and I also used a thick disk of putty under the glass drilling area to hold the cut glass piece and keep the water from draining through before the drilling was finished. I also duct-taped a plastic catch dish to the underside of the glass to catch the water and glass when it fell through. It worked very well and the whole project stayed clean and dry except the bit of water inside the wells. 'Til next update...:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I finally have something new to add to this. After doing some more reading over on RC, I decided to go with BeanAnimal's (on RC) Silent & Failsafe overflow which uses 3 standpipes on the drains. I have my standpipes made and ready to install. I still need to drill the third bulkhead, though...plan to do that tomorrow. I decided not to go with a coast to coast overflow because I really don't want to take up that much space in the tank. Instead, I will just have a 12"Lx3"wx6"h glass overflow which I believe will be plenty big enough for this tank since I'm not after a huge amount of flow through the sump. Here are a few pics of what I have so far. The overflow box will actually have glass in the other small side. Originally, I planned to just glue the open side into the corner of the tank, but, I need the box out a bit further to fit right around the bulkheads, and, I think the 3rd side should add a little to the overflows drainage. I made a lid for the overflow out of glass to keep the larger snails and fish out of the overflow. I glued glass pellets to raise it for about a 1/4" opening with another pellet offset from the first to hold the lid in place. I read about the lid from another reefer...sorry, I don't remember who or which thread...but it seemed like a neat idea and I like the look better than eggcrate. :D

I also started work on the sump and will have a duplex refugium. I made this benthic zone from eggcrate and zipties. It is about 12x10x4. I hope to have the sump dividers glued in tomorrow along with the overflow and will have more pics then. These pics are just random shots of my cut down bulkheads and elbows, the glass overflow box and its lid (this pic shows it with 3 sides before I added the 4th side.) Also are two views of the benthic zone for the duplex refugium. The plan was for the extended side to act as a sieve to keep algae from going over the sump divider into the return area. I may just cut that off if it doesn't fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Missed one of my pics! This is of my 3 standpipes. They will be attached to pool flex hose just under the tee. The Siphon pipe will also have a ball valve at the end of the flex drain so I can adjust the siphon at the sump where I can get to it. Hope to have more progress tomorrow! :freak:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts