The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been awhile since I've done a reef tank, I am talking like 7 years.. I have recently started a 29 gallon Nano and I am curious as to why, after 10 days I have not seen any signs of a cycle..? I put 30 lbs of fully cured Bali Alor from Premium aquatics and about 25lbs of Ls (half from an established tank) on day 7 I added 12 Astreas, 5 snails, and an Emerald. I am using sea Chem reef salt and doing daily tests which have been almost perfect with a small spike on day 5. I have been doing 35% water changes every 2 days. Should I wait it out, or has my tank cycled? All of the CUC has been doing very well and I have seen some orange tube worms coming out of my LR along with a small six legged starfish (which I have been debating removing???) and small cotton ball like things that were not there during the initial cleaning/saline dip on a piece of LR. I am running two powerheads and an OTB filter I am just wating for the skimmer to arrive via UPS... I have never experienced a tank cycle so quick, I will add that on day 3 some Coraline turned white but since has been replaced and I now have oranges, limey greens, purple, pinks and a very deep green coraline growing..? I am not sure what is going on, some input would be very much appreciated...!:dance:

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
Well...my guess is that the fully cured live rock was actually really honestly fully cured and had enough bacteria on it to manage the small bioload you have in the tank. That's my guess. I suggest adding a piece of shrimp into the tank to introduce something larger to the bioload before you add any fish and see what happens then so you don't overload the tank.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome back. I was gone for a few years and came back to the hobby. You will get hooked again don't worry!

That's FAST too fast almost. I'm guessing your still in cycle stages and because of your large scale water changes your tank is fooled into thinking it's ready. maybe just got past the first nitrite stage? Hard to guess , but If I had to I also had a 29 gal and it was about 4-5 weeks before complete cycle with a very similar setup. I usually just dump in some damsels and let things take their turn. The stuff on your LR is very normal and the alge bloom is also very normal.

"on day 7 I added 12 Astreas, 5 snails, and an Emerald. I am using sea Chem reef salt and doing daily tests which have been almost perfect with a small spike on day 5. I have been doing 35% water changes every 2 days."

I think it was a bit quick to add that much of a load . I usually started out by 1 or 2 damsels and waited about a week, then 1 or 2 more, up to about 6 or 8 total feeding daily 35% every 2 days is too much water. Your not allowing your tank to cycle as it needs to and collect the appropriate bio load first. about a 10-15% each week should be fine. Don't forget your nitrates also need to cycle, so you should be testing daily for PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, & ammonia. Your tank will actually go through about 3 cycles before it's complete and the bio-load and LR is established.( Ammonia , Nitrite , nitrate) Your should have seen spikes of each of these before all levels should drop to within specifications. 0 ammonia, 8.0-8.3 ph 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.

Then you can very slowly add about 1 -2 species per week until you get to your desired load for your tank. Be patient! Don't get fooled by your LPS into buying too much you will certainly regret it in the long run. I waited about 3 months before adding my final specimens to my 29 gal

Honestly everyone has a different experience so you will need to just keep testing and see what is working best for you, but that was my experience with my 29gal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts