The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am coming back to the reefing hobby after 5 years. My first tank was a low budget endeavor, but lots of fun. As I couldn't afford a protein skimmer, sump, canister filter or lots of power heads-water changes were the order of the day. Now, Older, Wiser and better employed, I thought I'd start a new build.

Experiences and problems with the JBJ set-up so far.

1. Filter inadequate if you add a lot of live or non-washed sand. I added 40 lbs of Ocean Direct Live Sand and Boy oh Boy was the tank cloudy. I mean pea soup!! I waited 3 days, but no better. Finally I bought a rena filstar2 and within 4 hours the tank was crystal clear. Out with the JBJ filter. I now only turn on the Rena if the floating particulates get noticeable, usually only after I move Rock or change water flow.

2. Protein Skimmer that comes with JBJ is crapola. So I replaced it with an eshoppes psk-75H. It fits great-but you can't fully lift up the lid. Started skimming nice tea colored skim after 3 days. Very few microbubbles after 3 days, but for the first 2 days I sourrounded the outlet with micro-foam and voila-bubbles solved.

3. Water was perfect after 1 week-40 lbs live sand, 25 lbs live rock, 30 invertebrates and 2 clown fish.

I'm Hoping to add a Flame Hawk, shrimp gobyand a Coral Beauty. I'm also adding a Hydor 750GPH powerhead and Tunze auto-top off.

Any other suggestions??

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Everything looks pretty good. I would wait a while until you add anything else because your cycle has just begun. The fish list looks good, but if you plan on adding corals I wouldnt get the coral beauty they are known for nipping corals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts