The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm starting a brand new 100g FOWLR tank. I have been reading these threads for several weeks and would like to start off by saying how much all of the post have helped in my decision making process. Thank you to everyone.

I currently have the tank 100g pre-drilled and built the stand and will be starting to buy everything else this week. Going to start out buying:

Pump-Ocean runner 3500
protein skimmer- Super space saver octopus xp 1000sss
Heater-Ebo Jager 17" 250W
Lights- 48" AQUALIGHT COMPACT FLUOR. RETROFIT KIT W/ 4-65W with Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue (going to build the canopy)
Wireless thermometer
Test kits by salifert and refractometer by Milwaukee

I'm planning on getting premium cured fiji live rock from aloha aquariums (web company). Looking at about 100-110 lbs. Any info on this company or opinions?

Will be either buying the water from LFS or purchasing a RO/DI filter to make my own. Need to know how many stages I need. Looking at a 4 or 5 stages. Opinions on good filters

Does all this look good for the system I want to run? Like I said, FOWLR aggressive type tank. Probably looking at a dwarf lion, snowflake eel, maybe a miniatus grouper and a dogface buffer.

I know I need a sump or wet dry system, but I'm confused on which one. Some say a sump/refugium is all I need, but others are saying a wet/dry system with bio filtration is better. Which one is better for a FOWLR set up. Do I need to put anything in the refugium? Thought a sump was basically a place to put skimmers, heaters and so forth but to also add water to the system for stability. HELP!!!

Second, the live rock. Was going to just do a "curing" process by putting the rock in the tank and running all the filtration and cleaning up the drop off stuff from the bottom of the tank for about a month or so, and adding water to top it off. When the curing is done, put sand substrate in the tank then aqua scape with the rock.
Now I'm reading about this cooking method.
What is the difference in the two and is one going to help with the algae and other bad stuff in the long run of the tank more than the other?

QT tank. is 10 gal enough with some type of sponge filter system. Was going to put a sponge in the main tank sump and move it over to QT tank when it is used for fish. Using only water from the main tank to set up the QT tank.

So as you can see, I'm definitely a NEWBIE but do have some basic knowledge from a previous fish only tank about 18 years ago. I must say that the technology and resources have changed a lot since then. I'm looking for all the help I can get so I don't fail miserably on this adventure.

Please feel free to add any and all opinions. I would love a sucessful tank and this fourm is a great source of information.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

·
Rock guy
683 Posts
first off looks like you have really done your reserch. ill start at the top and work down at what i know
first off get your own RO/DI filter, with that much water do you really want to carry home 100g lo water? and with 20% water change thats 20g, thats a lot, get your own

as far as fish goes, sounds good to me, i keep smaller tanks but thats a big tank so they will have room

i would say sump over wet dry, with that much rock, and no coral, it will work great and let you hide your skimmer, for the refugium, you dont need it, you could always put some cheato in there to help with nitrates, doesnt need much care after all

ok curing over cooking, one or the other is needed, curing will help cycle the tank and get the rock ready for fish, cooking will kill off most life on the rock, except bacteria and some other good stuff, but it kills all the algae, and most importantly it helps pull out all the nitrates and phosphates out of the rock, making them better in the long run, but not needed. It really is a matter of opinion. i cooked my rock since it had some algae on it, and it was half cooked already so only took 3 weeks, look into it more in the bare bottom section of the site,

qt, for those fish a 20g might be better, petco has the summer sale where a 20 is only 20$,

other than that you sounds like you will be fine, you already plan on taking it slow so stay keeping it slow, keep reading, and overall have fun

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, just ordered my RO/DI filter from, Got the 90 CSPDI. Should be here in a few days. The going to pick up the rock and start the cooking process.

Was also looking at some dry base rock, about 60-70 lbs from macrorocks and then adding about 30 or so lbs of live cooked rock to seed it. How long will I have to wait to add fish after putting the cooked live rock in with the dry rock?

Thanks
Still would like some more opinions and any comments.

·
Rock guy
683 Posts
stand looks great, as soon as the rock is cycled all together you can start adding fish but add them real slow to give time for the bacteria to spread around
for the stand are there any middle braces? that would be my only concern
just get a few friends and stand on it, if it can hold 800lbs than your good, if not than dont put any water in the tank, just the cat and call it good

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, It has a 2x4 in the middle in the front and back and then a 2x4 angled across the back connecting both sides.

As you can see, my step daughter is extremely excited for the new fish tank!! She really wants a zebra eel.

So update, Ordered the pump and also decided on 2 Koralia EVO 750's for a little extra and also to help cook the rock, Ordered salt also so as soon as everything comes in, can go pick up the love rock and get it started!

·
Rock guy
683 Posts
what other water movement do you have? i feel like the koralias light be a little small for a tank that big,
and where did you get your love rock, is it better than live rock? maybe makes everyone happier?

·
Rock guy
683 Posts
wow where do you live we dont have them where i live, i dont know how great the return flow is, i have never had a sump, i just wanted to get a koralia 750 for my 20g so i figured 2 for 100, one of use had to be crazy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.