The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here is the deal,

I have a ten gallon tank which has been a freshwater for about five years, and now I am on the road to converting it to a nano reef...I already have the salt in it and now i am waiting for the live sand to come in at the store and then i will put that in with a bunch of live rock and then i will let that cycle for about two weeks, my next step will be to start with some crabs and things like that to help stabilize the tank, but next i would really like to put some coral in it...before i do that i need a better light to help them grow any suggestions on a very cheap light (im working on very very little money) then after that i will add two clowns.
please reply with any help....
allie

· Registered
38 Posts
Hey allie,

Regarding the cycling, you might want to purchase a few test kits to see when your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, and your nitrates begin to rise.

Regarding the lighting, I am looking at purchasing a Nova Extreme T5HO fixture which is currently on sale at Drs Fosters Smith, so might want to look into those. If you want to make the lighting even cheaper, you could probably go with a retrofit kit, and make a hood yourself to install the retrofit kit.

cheers,

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
It depends on the type of coral you want to keep. The Novas can keep low to low/med light coral, but will limit selection slightly as far as some other options. TO be on the cheap, see if there are other reefers in your area that you could by some of their older equipment. God forbid, if you are really constrained by price and don't care about quality, there is the Odyssea $99 MH. Noted these used to catch fire a few years ago, but that has supposedly been fixed with the elec. ballasts. While they claim 250w, it is my understanding that the ballasts only drive the bulbs at about 160w. The color is poor, but it is cheap. I normally never recommend it... but then again I know money is tight starting off. Its normally better to get high quality, but sometimes that isn't and option. Once again, try and find some good quality used equipment, and then look for sales and closeouts.You can wait a bit (you dont neeed a light to cycle) and dig for a good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.