The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER SAY TO A COP

1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer. (OK in Texas)

2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.

3.Aren't you the guy from the Village People?

4. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!

5. Are You Andy or Barney?

6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer.

7. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?

8. I pay your salary!

9. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!

10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.

11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.

12. When the Officer says "Gee Son.Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with,"Gee Officer your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"

:D

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
Hehehehe, When I was out in Montana a few summers ago we took the cut off at St Regis , back road over to Ravali, then north to Flat Head lake and BigFork. The stretch of road between Perma and Ravali had a lot of newly resurfaced road with the killer orange barrels. Taking the same way back heading to Spokane and Seattle, I was boogyin along at a nice clip( a little over freeway legal) . On coming car and I get the "Feeling" so I back off, as he passes its a State trooper who flips on the lights and flips a U turn, I pull over in a wide spot and the wife awakens from nap.
Trooper asks if I know why he stopped and I said yes I was speeding. Handing Licence and registration he walks back to his car, wife is giving me THE LOOK, and i have 8 hrs to go yet:(
The trooper comes back returns documents and asks me to sign a warning acknowledgement, that said I was doing 65+ in a 55 zone. Actiually it was 82 according to speedo when he popped up over the horizon and thats what he said his lazer zapped me at. He then went on to say I assume you have no loaded weapon in the car or you would have mentioned it(ccw shows when running licence) then told me to be safe till I hit the freeway.
I like Montana Troopers :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
:funny:

whew, that was close doug!

i got pulled over about 4 years ago, driving from san fransico to l.a. i had cruise dialed in at 110.

i think it's I5? the one that goes through the mountains and it straight as an arrow? anyway, come over a hill, trooper there, going so fast i didnt see him, till he pulled out and got in behind me. i stayed on cruise, figuring, i aint pulling over till he turns on the lights.

after about 15 minutes, he finally flips'em on. comes to the car, and says"where ya headed in such a hurry" i say, LA. he says "whee ya coming from" i say San Fran. he says, "hmm, rental car, where ya from" i say toledo ohio. he says "do you know why i pulled you over" i say, yep, i was doing 110. he says "try to keep it between 90 and 100" hands me my license and walked away!!!

btw: johnny, my favorite on that list is number 12!!!!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Doug! Your story reminds me of the time we drove from Vermont back to Montana in 1989. My step-son and I each took turns driving and when the women were asleep we put the pedal to the metal and covered quite a bit of road real estate.;)
Women would wake up and wonder why we got so far so fast!:rolleyes: Anyways just the other side of Phillipsburg going to Missoula, my step-son was driving and I fell asleep and he got caught by a Montana highway patrol and was doing 85 miles per hour! The patrolman was really cool about it and fined my step-son $5 and told him to back off the pedal.
My step-son looked at me in amazement after the patrolman left. $5 he said and laughed like heck. I said ya they are friendly here but they don't forget a face so it's easy driving from here to Missoula!:D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup. i think many a police are like that. i've always subscribed to the notion, that if you get pulled over, dont act dumb. you know why. be cooperative. USUALLY they are leniant.

of course, there are always the ones that follow the book, but still is goign to be less of an aggrivating experience by simply being nice and cooperative.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jay - You have got to be joking. The only experience I have had that even comes close is driving on I-285 around Atlanta (The Atlanta Autobahn) and passing a state trooper at 100 (he was on the side of the road). He didn't even flinch, although I nearly had a stroke when I passed him.

Yikes!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here's one for your list:

Bet I can grab your gun before you can...

I live on a busy street (with lots of speeders) and my patio faces it so I get to see alot of traffic stops. It never ceases to amaze me what people will say (the most popular is: "Why did you pull me over, everyone else is speeding too!"). It never pays to crack wise or act unsavory to the police/sheriff/hwy patrol. Be respectful, say you are sorry, be quick with your registration and insurance and you will find that officers are people too.

One time (in band camp) a friend got pulled over, and couldn't find the current registration (he had about 10 years worth along with ins. cards). He tried to hand the packet over to the police man and said "Here Dude, you find it". My eyes must have went the size of half dollars when the officer said: "No DUDE, YOU find it.". I reached over the back seat, grabbed the packet and said "_DUDE_, I'LL FIND IT!" - I think it saved him a ticket.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Don't feel bad, Casey.....the cops here are the same way. My neighbor had a headlight go out on her a couple of years ago and she got pulled over 3 times while driving from one side of town to the other (a 15 to 20 minute drive - tops).......I think the cops need more to do around here....

J.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I and my brother where coming back from Columbia MO about 5 years ago, and we were doing about 80 (in a 65) when a white car passes us. The driver looks over and sticks out his tongue then goes on by. I sat there racking my brain trying to figure out who it was, and why they would stick thier tongue out. It dawned on me several seconds later, that it was a guy who had worked for me a year earlier. So being the competitive type I decided there was no way in hell he was going to pass me in that old clunker. He had not yet gotten all the way around when I put my foot to the floor. He realized what I was doing before I was 100% caught up with him, so it took me several seconds to actually build up enough speed with him doing the same. When I finally caught him and started to get out in front, I look in my rear view mirror. ....... I don't know how long he had been there, or how much he had seen, but there was a Missouri Highway patrol 15' off my back bumper. I immediately let off the gas, and the other guy didn't see him. So he is in the passing lane now doing a full 105 with no idea this cop is behind me. He zooms on down the high way and the state trooper goes around me to follow him.

Now im thinking he is going to go down the road and flag both of us over.....and as he goes past me I look straight forward...I didn't even want to make eye contact. The other guy pulls into the driving lane and quickly realizes why I stopped. The trooper passes him also and pulls in in front....then hits his breaks and lights.....but immediately shuts them off, and heads on down the road. I don't know why he didn't stop us both but to this day I can still feel my heart beating in my chest when me and my brother tell that story. I was shaking all the way home.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got pulled over twice while driving 5 miles to a napa to get a replament wire harnes for my tail lights. I didn't have a spare car so I drove mine with the tail lights missing and wire hanging out. AFter the seconde time I was ticked off. Just let me get the **** part and fix it already. I didn't get a ticket or warning or even a fixit tho. In clovis CA. I did get a ticket for "Not comming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign" at 3am, in the country, on a utility road for cows. AHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Heh, a lady in our neighborhood got pulled over last night...

There are a couple of teenage girls who live down the street from us, and they were followed and accosted by some scary guys in a white car last night. Long story short: the police came to take statements, and in the middle of it, the girls start screaming "that's the car! that's him!" They were freaked out by then, although I'm guessing the lady in the car was more so, after the officer jumped in the car, just about dropped the transmission, and peeled out to catch this car with full lights and sirens.

It wasn't the suspect (unless 4 Black guys can somehow morph into a caucasian woman), but there is quite the police presence around here now...

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
One time back home when I lived near Ottawa, I was on my way to work a weekend trade show in the city. Thought I'd take a slight detour to grab some breakfast on the way in, so I was hauling butt to make time so I wouldn't be late. I knew I was in a 60 kph zone (about 35 mph) and I was going well over 80 kph (about 50 mph). I popped up over the hill and at the Church where he/she always sits, was the cop. I could feel my heart sink to my shoes.... I slowed right down, there was another car behind me, and the cop fell in behind us both. The car between us turned off, the cop's lights came on for a nanosecond, then they went off again - so I didn't stop, but I didn't do a breath over the speed limit. I abandoned my breakfast plans, and worked my way back to the road to work. The cop stayed right behind me for another 5 miles. I came to a full stop (one, two, three, four!) at each stop sign, made sure my signal blinked at LEAST 4 times before a lane change (that's the law there!) and otherwise kept my nose clean. The cop pulls up beside me in the fast lane- I couldn't bring myself to look over at him, but he then gave up and turned off. WHEW. All I can figure is that his radar malfunctioned or something because he HAD me.

One other time, I was on I75 in Atlanta and I had JUST hit the HOV lane (for carpools - had my kids with me), and I got pulled over. Cop said I was doing 77. My spedometer said I was doing 65. I didn't get a ticket, but I am nearly positive that I was pulled over because the cop thought I was alone in my car in the HOV lane -- once I rolled down the window he saw my kids, and realized he was mistaken. He told me to watch my speed and have a nice day :D

Last month I got a speeding ticket. My first. I was coming home from Church, and the man in the right turn lane to my right did not make the obligatory right turn when the light turned green. We went through the intersection, and I needed to change lanes to the right to make the next right, 3/10 of a mile ahead. I signalled my intentions and the jerk mirrored my speed - I sped up, so did he. I slowed down, so did he. I was running out of roadway, we both had traffic behind us. SO, I accellerated just enough to overtake him and make a safe lane change, and just as I gained enough speed my radar detector started screaming at me. My kids freaked - I said, "I'm not speeding, no worries" by now I'd changed lanes safely and was back to 35 mph or less, I made my right turn, and the blue lights came on behind me. He supposedly clocked me at 50 in a 35, but he gave me a "break" by writing the ticket for 49 mph :rolleyes: I pleaded not guilty in court the other day, I go to traffic court on the 25th. What's really weird is that I'm aquainted with almost every cop in town - except that one. Looks like he spends his days at the donut shop, not the LFS, but all the other local constabulary know me, and drop in from time to time. It's really embarrassing when you show up to court, and the cop that is at the security desk says, "Hey, I know you, you're the fish lady!" :eek: I knew the cop on duty beside the Bench too...

Stay tuned.....we'll see if I can beat the ticket.

Jenn

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Jenn! Tell them the rest of the "J" crowd will make an appearance in your behalf and the cop will realize his mistake!!:)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Ummm they might just have extra handcuffs on hand for that event :D :rolleyes:

:funny:

Jenn

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
j crowd member gets speeding ticket... well, almost !!!!

asia, myself and one of my nieces (15) were on our way to the movie this morning (you know, THE movie :) )

anyway, i hear the familiar sound of sirens and see the familiar flash of lights. so i pull over. cop comes walking up. i'll recreate this as accurately as possible.

cop: (looking serious) i clocked you doing 55 in a 35
me: (looking apologetic) i know, i'm really sorry officer
cop: where ya headed in such a hurry
me: (excited) to the movies
cop: whatcha going to see
me: (even more excited) finding nemo
cop: (glancing at tattoos) YOU like cartoons?
me: (extremely excited) well, i have a saltwater tank, so i'm really excited about this movie
cop: (being serious) well there's no need to drive so fast
me: (uncortollably excited) but i get there early for a good seat.
cop: (smiling) well, tell ya what, i'm gonna let ya go with a warning
me: (very appreciative) that's great i really appreciate it!
cop: (sounding like a parent) just try to slow down. ok?
me: (smiling) well i have to drive faster now, to make up for lost time :)

he gave me "the look" then said havea nice day and walked away!

:funny: man, that was close!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.