1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I copied this from reef central because at Reef Central, you get no helpo

I"m kind of nervous about treating my 10g tank with flatworm exit

I am thinking that the high levels of toxicity will wipe out my tank

should I take my corals out, dip them in a bucket treated with FE and then put them into a holding tank and perhaps treat the main tank with FE and no corals in it?

do you think that would be safer?

I dont skim at all, and I have 2 HOB filters that I coudl load with carbon and add to this tank, along with the MJ1200 I have in there now

the tank is bare bottom so treating the sand is not really a problem here

please offer advice or encouragement if you have it
also, where can you find flatworm exit?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Do you have the red flatworms? Or the white ones? I would, if you could, remove the corals, do a dip, and then yes, put them in a different tank. Then in your main tank, siphon out as many of the flatworms as you possible can. Then treat the tank. You are right, in a small nano like that, a large die off could have the potential of killing everything. I would also have a fresh batch of saltwater ready to go to do a water change shortly after to help with the toxis levels. The charcoal would be a good thing aswell.

But, like I said, stick by and siphon as many flatworms out as you can, or as they start to show after the treatment. Good luck!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Okay..just making sure. :) Well, I have offered what I can. Let us know how it goes! *cheers you on*

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Before you proceed, please search my name and a thread called, "Flatworm exit, so far, so good"

It didn't stay good.

Lost 7 of 13 fish in my 120 and I am free of flatworms but I'm not "over it"....

For a 10 g, I'd freshwater dip everything - it kills them FAST. If you feel you must use the product, remove any fish FIRST and be sure to have a powerful canister packed with carbon and polyfilter at the ready.

I do not blame the flatworm exit - it did the job. I believe the toxicity of the dead worms was what did the damage in my tank.

Good luck to thee.

Jenn

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you FW dip a rock with corals on it, how long can the corals live in the FW? what I'm wondering is...is this just a quick dip, or do I let teh rock sit in teh FW for a little bit...I am unsure of how to properly FW dip

·
5,916 Posts
I'd dip for 1-2 minutes. The flatworms die FAST.

Jenn

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, and fully submerge the coral too?
sorry for so many questions, but I"d hate to kill off my own corals

·
Registered
71 Posts
does anyone know where i can get some of that flat worm med?

·
5,916 Posts
If you read my thread - I used a single dose too. Worms started dying immediately.

I'd suggest a canister - no HOB or whatever - I had a 400 gph push canister, packed tight with carbon, purigen, polyfilter and floss. Changed the canister after 15 hours, packed it with fresh media and at 15 hours post treatment my fish began to stress and die. They died even after moving them to separate systems - the poisoning had already been done, some lingered for a few days.

Some did not suffer and are still with me today but all the bigger fishes (Purple tang, foxface, marine betta) died, I also lost a male banggai cardinal (had just come off a breeding cycle), and 2 chromis.

It is not the medication that kills the fish - it's the juices from the dead flatworms.

Jenn

·
Registered
585 Posts
does anyone know where i can get some of that flat worm med?
I'd check with a few of TRT sponsor's first. (moderators, can I say that? if not, you have that edit button...lol)

my question meant, "should I submerge the tissue of the coral as well as the rock, or just the rock"
Submerse the whole coral. When you do this, I would recommend that you swirl the coral in fresh water to help remove the flatworms as they die. Then into a saltwater tank. I would not recommend 1 - 2 minutes...1 minute at most, swirling as you go. If you have quite a few corals, change the FW often

I would not treat the 10 gallon tank. syphone, dip, water chanees, etc...but no medication in a 10 gallon tank.
JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts