The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked mine he did try to clean fish not that any of them would let him. I noticed yestrday I hadnt seen him in few days. A couple days ago I took out a bunch of rock had it out the water for awhile. So I wounder if he was in one of the rocks are if he died for some other reason.

·
Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
a neon goby lives at most 4-5 years..mine lived almost 5 years..1 year at the LFS & 4 years in my tank. & all the science sites i can find says around 3-5 years.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok this is not good. As I was looking at my tank it just clicked that my blue flasher was gone and now to think about I havent seen him in a few days. So 2 months ago my neon goby and now my blue flasher someone has to be eating them. I have stayed up late on more than one occasion and never see anything. I have taken out almost every rock but of course I couldnt leave out water to long to due to corals. so who do you think is doing this and how do I go about finding him.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Neon gobies are great, better cleaners then shrimp IMO. I will have them in every tank.

As for missing fish it does't take long for them to get picked over. My royal gramma (2in) died while I was at work around 7pm we was seen on the sandbed by my wife, when I got home at 11pm I went ot bed and didn't look to fish him out til 9am, the next mornig, the only thing left was his skull. And I only had 12 blue leg hermits, 12 astrea snails and 18 nassarius in a 90 (I am just stocking it up)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unfortunately you really don't know how old it was when caught and sold to you (unless you raised it from egg/fry), it could have already been old to begin with.

When it died it got scarfed up quickly, overnight is all it would have took.

I really liked mine, they cleaned my hand when I was in the tank.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No my point was I think I have healthy fish that are being taken in their sleep. Then it was brought up how fast a dead fish can disapear. Cleaners meaning snails, crabs, worms and so forth can do quick work of a dead fish.

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
2,146 Posts
What is there Max size ? I have one. When i get a nother should i get a larger or smaller one.
(i have a damsle warning :p )
I can add him in the dark and that should help prevebt him from being a realy expance feeder :p.

·
Forever Reef
2,326 Posts
neon gobys get about 1 inch..max size..Slant..did you say your goby got killed..what fish do you have ? any anenomes..even aiptasia can eat them

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have a neon goby who i've had for about a year now he does do a good job cleaning. Only problem is they say gobies are peaceful yet he's mean to my shrimp goby (maybe b/c they are both gobies?). He cleans my tang all the time, and sometimes my tang asks to be cleaned and the neon goby won't!! he he.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.