The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LFS today and I saw a neon dottyback. What a cool looking fish. Anyone have any experience with them? I am reading that they can be bullies.

I have a 75g fish include 2 false percs, a yellow tang and a diamond watchman goby. The only one I am really worried about is the goby, as they are the same size right now. Any thoughts?

· Registered
15 Posts
I had one about 6 years ago in a 10 g so I don't know how they are with other fish but I can tell you they will clean out all of your hermit crabs and cleaner or peppermint shrimp! I had a huge cleaner shrimp that was much bigger than the dottyback but that didn't stop him from having a nice shrimp dinner.

· Registered
13 Posts
I won't say I'm an expert on dottybacks yet, but so far so good. It was actually given to me outside my LFS by some girl who was moving home for the summer(college student). I had heard about their bad reputations but a few tears later and it was going home with me. It's been about 2 months now and so far it's a model citizen. It swims around with my other fish with no isssues. It spends most of the day schooling with my 2 clowns, which is just weird to watch. I also have a yellow watchman, a mandarin, 2 blue-green chromis, 2 red firefish and a bangai cardinal in my 100 gl. I also have a skunk and a peppermint shrimp that have been left alone. I realise this may be the exception to the rule, but it's good to remember that each fish is its own individual. I'm just happy it worked out because the color is amazing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.