The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my nemy crawled under my donut coral, and was still there this morning, i think it was stinging my donut, so i moved the donut, i needed to do a water chang, so i did 1, but after i moved the donut , the nemy shrunk up to the size of a quater( it doesnt look good at all) so i tested my water and it say's, nitrite 0 , nitrate, very low, in the ok shade, so what do i do?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I would say that the change in water chemistry caused him to shrivel up. I wouldn't do another water change. What is the actual number of the Nitrates?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a test set that uses tank water, but the boy's lost the instruction's, so i dont know how many drops to put in , so in other word's , the kit is useless

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
IMO the test strips have no place in an established reef tank. If you spend all of the money on all of your corals, you really should have a accurate way to read pH, Nitrates, ALK, CA, phosphates, and possibly MG. The test strips are OK for getting a base line for a cycle but trying to get actual levels, they are worthless.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
well be careful you test kit might have gone bad too how old is it ? i have gone through this before i test an its fine take it to fish store an im about to kill everything it wouldnt hurt to get a new nice test kit but trying to water change every day will make alot of your stuff go crazy also things just dont go down over night so take your time

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
For an SPS tank, you are supposed to run your nitrates less than 20 PPM, but like Potter said, don't go crazy over trying to get 0. You also may want to try a clam. They are nitrate sponges.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had 1 and killed it, i do have a couple of clam's in there , i got them from publix. The kit is 1 yr old , but i never opened the nitrate bottles, i'm going to do just 1 more water chang tonight, oh, the test read 80, i'm so ashamed, i am freaking out though, cant help it............

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, when i got back from pet supply's , my nemy moved and i cant find it, i guess it crawled off to die, i give up on them,i'm really sick about this................

·
Registered
311 Posts
changing the water chemistry to fast is worse than having bad readings. Wait to change more water untill things stabilize. if your worried about nitrates dont feed and they will most likely not increase. The nice thing about having a large tank is stability so let things calm down and see where your at,,,,,

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
really, about not dieing? oh i hope so, well it's to late on the water change, i'm getting ready to fill it back up............

·
Registered
166 Posts
definitely follow the advice of holding off on waterchanges. Big swings are more apt to kill something fast and outright than having a reading simply too high for the moment. Are you making sure the sg, and temperature are all pretty much identical when you do a big waterchange?

I wouldnt worry to much yet, its not gonna just up and die in a 2-3 days unless it was really unhealthy to begin with. Them shrinking up from time to time is pretty normal as well. That might be a sign its in distress or just could be expelling waste. Making sure the mouth is closed up and its not bleaching out/turning white are better indications of health.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts