The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids hit my monitor today with there stickers,Think they wanna see the movie? Well they are weather they want to or not!:D

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
Casey your are out numbered 5 to 1 counting mom. Give in and live to fight another day :)
I am looking forward to taking my gk to see it :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
LOL casey! Maybe I'll take Pat to see it!!:D

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know Doug I dont have a chance :) Johnny you better take Pat!:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
"I am looking forward to taking my gk to see it"

GK? Girl kangaroo? Gay Klingon? Girraffe Killer? Green Kitten? Gigantic Kelp? oh oh I know Groovie Killer?

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Yeah, like we're gonna believe the kids did it.... ;)

Wash the excess adhesive off your hands before posting next time... :D

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I'll ship mine out to you so you can take them with you. No hurry on sending them back, I'll even buy the popcorn and Milk Duds ;)

Alice

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Bought my little boy a Nemo book and we read it every night. Casey your monitor looks a lot better.

Just wondering how many clowns are going to be purchased after the show.

·
1,262 Posts
No kidding.....

I'm thinking there is going to be a major "joining" session of newbies here at TRT......

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that still worries me. i do hope they join trt though, and get themselves familiar with the hobby.

i still se mass purchases by inexperienced people, reminiscent of 101 dalmations.

even i got caught up, and am frantically wanting to buy a regal tang! but i've been smart enough to research it first. now i'm not so sure, since i'm reading the sides of the tail are like scalples and can cut you!

·
1,262 Posts
I'd prefer being cut rather than a trip to the hospital... but that didn't stop me.... heh...

They should have made Nemo a lionfish.... :)

Imagine all the yuppies buying their lil kin lionfish.... :D

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thefatman said:
that still worries me. i do hope they join trt though, and get themselves familiar with the hobby.

i still se mass purchases by inexperienced people, reminiscent of 101 dalmations.

even i got caught up, and am frantically wanting to buy a regal tang! but i've been smart enough to research it first. now i'm not so sure, since i'm reading the sides of the tail are like scalples and can cut you!
Jay most tangs have those scales mine does but Regal tangs can be hard to keep but boy they look sweet

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hard to keep :( now that i had not read.. dang..

·
REALLY excited to be here
579 Posts
Regal tangs are the best once you get them acclimated to your tank. I would start off will a small one though because they do grow fast. I tried once and failed due to ick. They get it quick and bad. I found that the temp variance in my tank was the cause. Just to make sure though I add the fish and started a cycle of “Kick Ick” at the same time. I have a reef tank and there were no ill effects to my corals. A lot of folks said that it would not help but it worked for me. My wife has lovingly named him Blue Berry. There is a pick of him and his best bud in my avatar. It looks kinda like the movie characters.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
The movie does not portray the aquarium hobby in a good light. I already got one "hate email" from some tree hugger telling me off for attaching "plants" (corals) to rocks, and etc. I replied to them with a barrage of facts, starting with correcting them about what a coral really is -- an animal or colony of animals - and that the frags they were ripping me about were captive propped :D I came back with enough ammo that they actually apologized. I should post the exchange someplace, it was quite good, if I do say so myself :funny:

There is a discussion going on now in the Industry forum at RDO about Nemo and its effects on the hobby, good and bad. Somebody brought up that while, yes, the movie portrays the hobby in a negative light, parents will still probably cave in to their kids' pressure to get a tank....

That's where we, the retailers come in. I can tell you I'm stocking up on books :D My fear is that there will be a lot of people who begin at a ***** chain store and kill a pile of Nemos before they realize they don't know what they are doing... because by and large ***** does not ask questions before they bag a fish(es)... there are exceptions to this... but even one of my clients was able to (stupidly) go in and buy 8 little percs (after all they were on SALE) and nobody asked him any questions. How many people do you know with a tank large enough to house 8 percs comfortably? He has a 225 but the percs didn't last a week -- probably either his Paddlefin Wrasse or established pair of Tomatoes or any of the other territorial fish he has probably picked them off one by one..... But I digress...

I think if we are lucky, and if all the little "Nemos" out there are lucky, we might just see a membership boom here. Let's take special care to encourage these newbies to learn -- as is always the practice here. That will do good for the hobby.

A whole wake of failed hobbyists and derelict tanks and dead fishes will not help the hobby.

Jenn

·
Registered
822 Posts
On a somewhat different note...

I find it trully amazing, and even a little scary, that the movie hasn't even opened yet and look how many people already have stickers, pictures, avatars depicting the characters. I guess you have to hand it to the Disney/Pixar marketers for creating such a demand before the movies even released. Makes me feel like we are all just a bunch of puppets...

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
Gotta love this Country, Create a market and exploit it ;)
BTW Dotel that means grandkids, I borrow them so I can see all the neat stuff :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
on the other hand.. a wakeful of failed hobbyists, could mean a lot of good upcomming delas on ebay :D

though, sadly msot of those that dont take the time to reads and learn first, will run out and buy little sally a 10g tank, with a whisper hang on filter, some pretty red gravel to match the fishies, and plop in 4 or 5 percs :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts