The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fill my tank with come corals so that i can stop the algae problem in my tank, and so i can hurry up and get my tank looking good

and does anyone know the best place to buy some corals, i kno cap bay is a good place to go but it so far and im in alpharetta so does anyone kno a place close to northern alpharetta, besides petland of duluth(thats where i am closest to, but way overpriced)

!!!~thanx everyone~!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
just get them from people on the forum. Theres always someone with some kind of coral for sale or trade. I got a brain Ill let go for cheap.

·
Registered
799 Posts
filling your tank will not prevent Algea, in fact algea is a sign that something may be wrong in your tank that the corals would not even like and they may not grow as well. While some algea can be normal and can be seen as no big deal, adding corals is never a solution to an algea problem. In fact I suspect you may just be setting yourself up for bigger problems by adding too many things while your water quality is having issues.

David

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
milhouse74 said:
filling your tank will not prevent Algea, in fact algea is a sign that something may be wrong in your tank that the corals would not even like and they may not grow as well. While some algea can be normal and can be seen as no big deal, adding corals is never a solution to an algea problem. In fact I suspect you may just be setting yourself up for bigger problems by adding too many things while your water quality is having issues.

David
What he said. Solve the algae problem BEFORE you add corals. Save yourself the heartache.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx then i better hurry up and go chek my water
but i was thinkin it was because i only had like 2 small pieces of coral and a 96 watt light on a 10g

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Maybe you've already posted this and I missed it but what kind of algae do you have? How old is the tank and what all is in it. Let's see if we can help you out here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
How often are you doing water changes, how much of the 10 gallons are you changing? Do you feed the tank? Any fish in it? Tell us more about what you are doing and like Rick said we may be able to help.

I have a 7.8 gallon loaded with corals, no fish just a shrimp and it is a great tank. Take your time though.

What types of corals do you have?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry i havent been able to get back for a while but
My tank is about 2 months old and have only done 1 water change which was like 2 weeks ago and only took out a gallon or a gollon and a half, and the algae is like a brown algae and is growing quick

the corals that i have are two zoos, but not much, one with tall stalks and the others dont have any stalks

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Are there any fish? Are you using RO water for topoff and water changes? Sounds like you just need to let it mature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts