The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 mated firefish in my 110 tank and my wife had to have an orchid dottyback. So about 2 weeks ago I added an orchid to the tank and since my firefish have nearly disappeared except at feedings. That was when yesterday I saw the dotty picking on my firefish. I'm going to remove the dotty, but I have spent 2 hours trying to catch him. Any recommenedations on how best to catch him?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anxious to hear what others say. I have a Dotty and when purchased the rascal not only eluded the net but went right into a crevice hole of a rock and stayed. Ended up purchasing the rock as held the Dotty. Placed the rock in my tank for several long minutes, ended up gently shaking him out! Course did a slow acclimation first 10 minutes for temp, my favored is then a tiny tear in bag for several more minutes before last release.

If yours does the same simply remove the rock and Dotty.

Good Luck!

Here's a short clip of my Dotty, doing great now with Clowns and Dwarf Angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12Et9NpwaM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Mushroom Coral Fanatic
979 Posts
Try to get him while feeding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to catch him while eating but one of two things happens. Either other fish get in the way or he stays too close to the rock to catch. I'm thinking about putting a larger royal gramma in the tank (twice the dotty's size) to subdue the dotty or if it doesn't work, then the royal gramma will be the replacement.

·
Mushroom Coral Fanatic
979 Posts
Royal grammas can be just as bad, especially when something takes theircaves and bolt holes, unfortunately firefish live in caves and bolt holes. :(

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I just re homes my lunar wrasse and my domino damsel out of my 75 I had to take almost every rock out of my tank and still had a ruff time with the damsel you can use the soda bottle trap I think there's a video of it on you tube

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sometimes adding a fish of similar temperament might help, I have a dotty, Dwarf Angel, and Clown, is enough busy going on they don't select any picking. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added a flame angel at the same time as the dotty and they don't fight but the dotty goes after my firefish. I'm going to have to catch the dotty tonight, put it in my sump and trade for a replacement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thought during the night in total dark fish are less responsive to Red Light, I use a portable one to keep an eye on my nocturnal critters, fish might still respond but slower and easier catch.

Stores have them in the hardware and automotive, found a neat Red wand type at Shop Ko. Works fantastic.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
get a clean container, place it in the sand on its side between a rock and the glass wall, chase the fish you want to catch around the tank with your hand or a net, chase it around that rock so it swims into the container. cover the container with your hand and pull it out. it might take a little practice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts