The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my tank for 6 mths so now i can finally start my reef - what type of light is best for my tank - to add to my current florescents. i have a 60gallon tank and the canopy is 41" in length. i need to not spend a whole lot of money so i know that used is ususally best.
any help is appreciated :)

thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well squid - those are all great questions :) - my current florecents are 2 18" 15watt bulbs, one is reef sun 50/50 and the other is coral sun actinic 420, my tank speks are 19" deep and 40" wide - not sure what i want to put in there, i am still new at this, so any suggestions are well accepted...plus i have a clown so i need something to keep him out of my sand, he is killing me with tail digging :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, could you please use full names, the initials confuse me because i am still new at this :-D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jan:

I can tell you right off the bat that your existing lighting system will not work for corals or anemonies.

If you could swing a couple hundred bucks, you can get a decent VHO retro kit. What comes with a retro kit is

2 110 Watt VHO (very hight output) bulbs (my favorites) OR 2 96 Watt PC (power compact) lamps
All wiring and end caps, and the ballast. If you go with VHO's you won't need reflectors, cause they have a built in reflector. If you go with the PC's the retro kit reflector comes with the kit.

This is providing you have a canopy to install them in. If not, look at the Jalli light systems, they come in PC hoods. I am sure others do to, I just can't think of them at the moment.

With this set up you will be able to have an assort of corals, no hard corals, but a nice soft coral tank.

What type of Clown (I'm braced for a tomato)

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i think before you spend the money to upgrade your lights you should have a look at other peoples tanks to see what interests you first. we have a good pictures area on this site that can help you decide. i would hate to have you spend money then find out you can not keep what you want later.

Squids suggestions are a great start for most corals and fish.

G~

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Squid - my clown is a marroon clown i think - its red striped with yellow - :D, i have a blue tang, yellow tang and an unidentified fish ;) i have 2 chocolate star fish and some village people (hermit crabs)

i do have a canopy, that sits about 8" off the top

i have looked at the pics but half the time i cant tell what is what, but i will look again

thanks - keep the comments coming please!! :beer:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jan, it sounds like you may have a gold stripe marron clown.

If you are considering putting corals in the tank, the chocolate chip starfish will eat them. So you do have to make a choice.

LOL Village people.

take a look at some of these, it might help. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75

Understand that these tanks have been up a while, but it might give you a good start. If you find a pic there of what you think you might want to go for, just copy and paste the address so we can get an better idea.

In short, it is sounding like you do want to have corals. It doesn't sound like you want to have rock and fish only. . It does matter what type. By all means, don't let me tell you what you want, I am just fishin here (no pun intended)
If you want to do this, then you would need a min of either the PC (power compacts) or the VHO (Very high output) lamps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
squid - you are a great help - i definately want reef not rock and fish. well maybe i get a small tank for the starfish - or take them back (poor chocolate chip and starry - my niece named them) - can i have anything in the tank like starfish. so i have heard a lot about power compact and it seems that that is the lesser expense of the two.

now i need to know, size, what to do with my current lights, if i can just add a PC to them, etc.

i will be so happy when i get it all and dont have to keep asking :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I might be wrong, but don't chocolate star fish eat some corals? Or maybe they just roam around and disturb them. Anybody know?

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Yes, Chocolate Chip Stars have been known on several occasions to eat polyps.

Ray

·
Registered
133 Posts
jan said:
- can i have anything in the tank like starfish.
We have a 125 reef tank set up and we have a couple of blue starfish in it, so I know there are reef-friendly starfish out there. Brittle Stars are neat, too.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
jan said:
and some village people (hermit crabs)
LOL! Now that one I have to remember! heh heh Of course, once you get your reef set up, the hermits will be considered giants to all the little critters that will run around your live rock. They will become your new city people. heh heh

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh my goodness...there are a lot of different starfish you can have. Again, rule of thumb if it has short fat stubby legs like the chocolate chip, stay away from them. Linka's are a good one. They come in many different colors, blue, burgnady, dalmation (whitish with a bunch of red spots) and blue tips on their leggs. If I could find mind, I would take a pic for you. So yes you can have starfish. One you will probably want to get is a sand sifting star. Helps keep the sand somewhat stirred. Brittle stars can be added, but when they get bigger, they could eat your fish..but we are talking 11- 12 inches from tip to tip As for the lights...do a little more research. The Power Compacts have a different replacement times. Someone help me here.. I can't remember is the VHO's the ones ou change out every 9 months or so and the PC's every 14 or so?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Personnally...as beautiful as Linkias are...I would stay clear until your tank is well matured. Once matured, a Linkia would make a beautiful colorful addition. Linkias are very sensitive, and I would hate to see you spend money on one only to have him die to a water fluctuation or whatever. I would stick with a brittle or a serpent starfish (my favorite).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts