The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 gallon tank and I am considering getting Compact lighting for my tank. Will this be enough to keep corals? I already have some MH 175 watts but I have not had any luck with keeping any corals. It was suggested I need to get some compact ligthing as to get all specturms of light. Can anyone shed some light on this? (pardon the pun :) )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Before we start talking about lights, tell us more about your system.
Sizes, versions, filtration, maintenance and feeding schedule, bio-load, etc......

What corals are you wanting to keep?
What fish do you have, expect to get?
What color lighting do you have, want to have?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More details

I have a 72RR Bowfront with wet/dry filter . I currently have 2 clownfish 1 tang 1 damsel and a anthia. I want to jump in the coral worl but have been unsuccessful. I have 175w MH for lighting .

·
Registered
324 Posts
How long has your system been set up?

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Can you give us a little detail on what happened in your previous coral attempts? Also, how old are the MH bulbs?

·
Registered
799 Posts
How much testing of your water did you do when you had problems with the corals? What exactly happened to them? What type of corals were they? What SG were you keeping your tank at? How old is the setup, and how old was it during previous attempts to keep corals? Did you use any additives, and did you test your ALK and CAL while you had the corals?

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow

I guess I really am a newbie. My tank has been standing for about 2 years . I have fish only with live rock. I did some homework on lighting but I guess I neglected the essentials to get the tanks right. does anyone have any suggestions on what additives I need to provide a healthy enviornment? Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
In order to know what additive are required you need to do some testing first. At a minimum your cal and alk.

I am a big fan of B Ionic 2 part, and it has worked great for me, but dont ad anything without testing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok first remember that you replenish lost elements to your water when you do a fresh water change. If you have not done one lately, then do so. Next you should test for Nitrate, Alkalinity, Calcium, and possibly Phosphate. Are you using tap water or RO water? Your Ammonia and Nitrite should be fine if you have living fish and LR. How many fish?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More info

I am using ro water . I have 2 clowns, a damsel, a tang and a anthia. I do regular changes and try to keep nitrates and amonia to a safe limit. I had some xenias and they lasted maybe a week and melted away. i did have a poink tip hatian that lasted forever but I had to get rid of him to make more room .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Besides the xenia, what types of coral have you lost and how many?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Xenia can be really weird. It will thrive in some tanks, and just dissapear in others. many would actually consider you lucky that you can not keep it.

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if this counts but Iv'e had a bubble tip and a urchin and they may last a week. when I get my water tested they say it looks good but I am wondering if that is for fish only? I read most of the information provided on the forums but I haven't had luck with corals. I trying to find the key :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
with xenia as said by millhouse, it can be weird, i have trouble with xenia in my tank, it just depends on what corals you try putting in there, how you acclimate and so on... i'd try some softies or a leather. I rushed into sps which was a mistake, sps is ok to put in your adter a year or so. I'd probally try putting some zoos in your tank, they'll be easy to start out with, or anthelia.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts