The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am very new to this fascinating hobby that is reef tanks.

I set up a 20 gallon tank and have 2 true percula clowns, 1 firefish goby and 1 mandarin all doing fine.

Then I decided to add some corals to it(I have sufficient lighting) So then I added some mushrooms and some other corals that my friend that works at the fish store recommended and they're all doing great.

But I have noticed that the polyps that I added are not opening nearly as much as they were at the fish store.

Then I came here and I read that you have to feed the polyps! ack! I didnt know that. Well you guys can tell me what to do from here hehe. I've had him for 2 weeks now and here is the pic. (He is the one in the middle)

thanks for any help, I really need it

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Firstly, your polyps look to be Palythoa, and not Zoanthids.. Just be aware that Palythoa contain a toxin called Palytoxin. It is a very lethal toxin. 5 Micrograms will kill a person, but by means of ingestion. If you have dogs or cats, make sure they don't stick their tongue in any water, or nibble on the polyps. (Yes, it has happened and someone lost their dog to this. Death occurs within minutes)

Palythoa are very voracious eaters. Some of mine consume small krill. Generally I feed them brine shrimp, plankton, caviar eggs, and bits of blender mush. They don't require massive amounts of light, but the more light you give them, the better they do.

Keep them in med-low flow.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buzz_Hog: thanks a lot for your help. I had no idea they can kill pets like that!

Now my dumb question is: how exactly do you feed them brine shrimp? if you could explain that in detail it would be highly appreciated. also how often do you feed them?

thanks again

·
1,262 Posts
Well, I feed my reef in general... I use frozen cube foods, and I hold the cube in front of a powerhead and let the current take the particles as they disolve...

You could also feed the polyps, or any other coral for that matter, by putting a small bit of food into the polyp head... You can use tweezers, a skewer, etc..

Just make sure not to touch the polyps.. Like I said, it is a deadly toxin. I've been stung by mine a few times before I did research on the toxin. They knocked me off my feet.

Your's appear to be Palythoa Toxica, I have some of these, as well as another type pictured below...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful polyps you have!

Now I dont have to do the same for my mushrooms correct?

thanks for you help, I will now try to feed them with tweezers.

Attachments

·
1,262 Posts
Nice looking shrooms ya got there...

No, generally they don't require supplemental feeding..

If you were closer, I'd try to get you to trade me some of those shrooms... ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
After I thaw my frozen food out in a cup I suck it up into a baby tylenol syringe and shoot it at them. Thats how I supplement my anemone sometimes too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks buzz, the shrooms actually open up a lot more than that usually...

thx scoobity on the syringe tip... now when you shoot it at them, do you make sure all the heads get some or are polyps all connected in a way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts