The Reef Tank banner
3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cicoocho 
#1 ·
:help: have a 90 gallon tank that has a rbta anemone and 2 black perculas a marine betta and a flame hawk. I feel like something is missing im looking to get a new tang to liven it up a bit and have a little more movement I know this species in and out but havent been able to decide on one. I looked at a sohal tang and a achilles tang and a powder blue tang but reaaly just cant decide. can you all help me find my new tang. Or even if you know of any cool tangs lemme know. THX

#3 ·
Welcome!

You really need to consider how big most tangs will get. There usually small at the LFS but most get much bigger. There are a few species that are ok in less then 125g...

Some I would suggest in a 90 would be
Convict
bristle tooth (tomini and two spot)
mimic tangs
powder BROWN (Not the blue)
Kole
Scopas
and
yellow, blue and purple should be ok.

#4 ·
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!

I really won't be of much help as I break all the rules because I have an LFS that will take the fish in for store credit as they start to get too big for my tank. So, I buy babies and start from there.

The others give good advice about the long term husbandry for these fish, so listen to them if you are planning on keeping the fish for as long as possible.

With all of that said, my favorite by far is my Powder Blue. I will not enjoy the day I have to take him in, but the store credit will help cushion the blow a tiny bit. ;)

#7 ·
Agreed with most of what's already said... those three you're looking at are not great when matched in a 90 gallon tank. The sohal will get well over 14" as an adult, and while the others are a little smaller, all three are easily some of the most aggressive surgeonfish. I'd probably take Kelli's recommendation, and if you want something exciting look at the Chevron tang.

#8 ·
I had a purple in a 120 and it wasn't anywhere near big enough for it. It would swim side to side, as fast as it could, then flip around and do it again. It obviously wasn't happy. Same for the Hippo tang. They are much happier in our ten foot tank though. We added a yellow to the 10 foot tank and it seems really content to just graze on the rock. I've never seen it just take off and swim as hard, fast, and long as it can so I'm sure it would have been a happy occupant of the 120. The 120 and 90 are both 4 foot tanks. That's why I mention what happened in my prior 120.

I've also read all the articles on the Achilles and how they need a LOT of swim room in order to stay healthy. We have an achilles in the 450 and he doesn't really seem to care about having a lot of horizontal swim room. He loves to play in the current produced from one of the returns from the closed loop though. They love turbulent water. So it very well might be a good choice for your tank, despite what all the experts say. This is just based on my observations of what our achilles does in our 450. But that is just one individual achilles though.

#9 ·
terry how long have you had your achilles and where did you get him from and i feel as though i'll try one of the three i mentioned.

i kept an 7-8 inch naso at one point and he was always healthy and ate like a pig so ima try and if before t gets bad ill return them for store credit or what ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.