The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this tank lightly planted for a while now, and I haven't paid much attention to it, as my 29g reef is getting lots of coral and such.I'd like to sort of redo this little tank.Right now all that's in here are a few mosquito fish, some of what petco calls mondo grass, and a few more miscellaneous unlabeled plants from petco.I have a fancy 6500K bulb, eco complete substrate, and seachem flourish. I want to aquascape it a bit, and take most of these old ratty plants out. I know I want some duckweed or similar floaty plant. Will that affect my other plants light? Also, where is the best place online to buy plants and maybe fish?

And while I have a thread going,I'm thinking this for live stock-
About 5 cherry shrimp
Either a gourami or a Betta
A school of a few celestial pearl danio
Otos or corys or maybe both
Thanks

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I've bought plants from plantedaquariumscentral.com twice, and had good luck with them both times (will buy from them again in the future), someone had mentioned this place: http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/15-shrimp so I bookmarked it for future reference.

Theres one other place I ordered from but I can't remember what it was now... but so far my favorite is the plantedaquariumscentral...

I've got a build thread in my signature for my planted work tank. It is a 10 gal, has some pretty awesome growth. I just broke down my 55 gal planted tank today and will be swapping it to a 40B that I've started a build thread in my sig too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man I'll look into that site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a bunch of Ghost Shrimp in mine and I love the look and the fact they are not expensive. I have tryed the mondo grass...I didnt like it. Cambombas are good for a regular lighted system, so I think it would work with duck weed. I would go for the corys ( the pandas are beautiful ) and a gourami. I would add ghost cats ( sorry, I like the weird stuff ) but danios would work just as well. I have 2 german blue rams, 2 panda and 2 pepper corys, 1bn pleco, 2 ghost cats and about 20 ghost shrimp in my 20 gallon with cambombas, ferns, moss, hair grass, and baby tears. It works well...I always over filter my aquariums ( 75 gallon canister filter). Hope it helps

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I love my corys, and they are some true fighters! My 3 original corys have gone through so much! Had them in my 55 before I converted it to plant it, after I converted it the tank crashed because it caused it to re-cycle, killed pretty much everything except my corys (I moved what I could to a smaller HT for a month while the main tank cycled, a few things survived and were moved back in after the cycle but out of that only the cories are still with me...) then had them in the planted 55 for a while, now I sold my 55 faster than expected so they are living in a temporary 40B while I wait to make sure my other 40B doesn't cycle since I set it up and got it planted... hoping to move them to their final home this weekend if I'm not seeing ammonia/nitrite in the new planted 40B that way I can start building my 40B reef with the temp tank they are in.

I also love the ghost shrimp... they are a lot of fun to watch and at $0.39 a piece here I don't get too worked up if they die (I think its tough to find a good strong batch of them because I buy them from petsmart... they last a few months but slowly die off... but then they become food for my other fish and I buy more).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks yall.im thinking I'll do 5-6 celestial pearl danios, 5-10 cherry shrimp, some (would peppered work?) Corys, and does anybody know any thing about pearl gouramis? I've seen them called snakeskin gouramis as well. Would one of those work?As for plants, I'll probably do anubias, some swords, dwarf baby tears, frogbit, and maybe rotala magenta.

As for the glass cats, aquariumkeeper, I like the weird stuff too, but this tank is more about the plants.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I have eco complete capped with a (rather thin) layer of gravel.I put in liquid co2 and excel, and I have some fancy $20 plant bulb.I think it's a 10,000k. I really dont want to use a co2 system, what with funds being a little slow at the moment.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
you don't really need CO2 if you are patient... I'm growing dwarf baby tears in my 10 gal tank with only flourish excel and spiral CFL bulbs for lighting. It can be done...

If the tank is still in the early stages I would consider putting something else down for the substrate. I didn't have great luck with just eco-complete in my 55 because theres really no nutrients in it... I really like the miracle grow potting soil capped with gravel (or my new 40B I just set up is miracle grow potting soil capped with eco-complete, capped with a thin layer of black sand... but the sand is already getting blown away / sinking through the eco-complete).

I contribute the growth of my 10 gal work tank to the fact that I have the miracle grow potting soil and I set up a regular regime of dosing excel. I'm overdosing by all means, I dose a capful twice a week (which is supposed to be 1 capful per 10 gallons to start, then 1 capful per 50 gallons after that...) and I'm doing no water changes as well. They say DO NOT OVERDOSE, but I do and my fish seem to be healthy... I guess it might be why my ghost shrimp keep dying but I view ghost shrimp as something fun to watch for a while then something for the fish to eat when they die..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just regular miracle grow?should I fill it with the wet paper/plastic sheet method?I heard you plant everything, then put wet newspaper over it all, the put a plastic sheet over those, and fill and remove the paper and sheets.it's supposed to keep it all from clouding.

All those plants ok? And the stock?

If this works for you, I'll try it.I suppose I'll cap it with eco complete.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I put about 2" of miracle grow down then cap it an inch or so over top. Most people would recommend miracle grow organic potting soil (MGOPS), I don't think mine is the organic, but it works great still. Just gives the plants a better food source, the eco-complete by itself you have to wait for the eco-complete to fill up with detritus and break down to convert to plant food... and my 55 just ended up looking dirty when doing that (not doing water changes) so the cory cats would stir crap up all the time since they are fast swimmers and scourge the bottom...

I haven't heard of that method of planting. What I normally do is put 1-2" of water in the tank, then put the miracle grow potting soil in to my desired height while pressing it down to compact it a bit, then once its capped put a bowl in the bottom and very slowly pour water in to the bowl so it doesn't stir up the cap and allow the miracle grow to float away... I end up getting very little stuff stirred up by doing that, and what does come up floats and can be scooped out.

Keep your eco-complete wet while doing this, hopefully that way if your tank has already cycled it won't cause it to re-cycle by pulling it out and putting the miracle grow down then putting the live eco-complete back in... I would still watch it for a few days before adding any fish to it to make sure it doesn't start a new cycle... but I just did this with my tank conversion, pulled eco-complete from my 55 that had been established for a while and capped it over new miracle grow potting soil and has not caused a new cycle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I'll do that. All that's left is to buy stuff! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I kinda got talked into getting them...but as the ghost shrimp, they are now a permanent fixture. They really dont take away from the look of the plants considering they are see through and I only have two.I get my gs from petland at 12 for $1...and they are breeding. The petsmart ones I get to feed to my puffers.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I kinda got talked into getting them...but as the ghost shrimp, they are now a permanent fixture. They really dont take away from the look of the plants considering they are see through and I only have two.I get my gs from petland at 12 for $1...and they are breeding. The petsmart ones I get to feed to my puffers.
Wow nice price! Too bad I don't have petland here... but $.37 - $.39 per is still good... I normally keep at least a dozen in each of my tanks, but both my work tank and my home tank are down to one a piece right now -- last couple times I've been at petsmart they didn't have very many of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts