The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what section this shoud be in so if it doesn't belong here i'm sorry. I am putting in a 125 gallon tank. The only place for the tank is going parallel to the floor joists. I know that is not recomended, but it is the only place it will fit. The joists are 2x8, and span a total of about 30 feet. They are 16" apart. In the middle it is supported by boards and support collums(see pics) so it is split into 15 foot spans. My tank will be in the middle of the 15 foot span. I assume i could just put 1 or 2 support jacks in the middle of the 15 foot span, but that is in the middle of my basement workshop so i would like to hear is there is something more space friendly. Here are some pics.

Tank will sit mostly on the first joist, and hopefully also over some os the joist closest to the cold air return-

This is where the ends of the joists are supported-

This is the center support-

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I would get under it and figure out exactly where the tank is going to sit. Run 2x8's so that you have a "band" under the ends of the tanks. If it cross multiple openings, run multiple blocks. Now that you have the "end" of the tank framed, frame the sides the same way. So that when you finish, you have a 2x8 box under the actual tank itself. Then double them, going to the inside of the fish tank.
That will take the weight/pressure off the plywood floor and transfer it to the floor joists (which is what you want). How you would go about bracing it further from there depends on where it is in the floor and how far from the wall.

Can you take some "further back" pictures to give a better perspective of what is where and where the tank itself will sit?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Post a picture of the lower level and it's layout and I may have some ideas... I supported a 450 gallon system with trailer jacks, I'm sure we can work this out;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad i got some help on this, it has me nervous. Here are some pics of the basment area directly underneath where the tank will go. In the pictres you can see some lights on the ceiling, the set closest to the camera is he area under where the tank will be.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
450G system on trailer jacks, thats MY kinda setup :nuts:
It was more trick than it sounds. Each corner of the stand was supported through the floor onto a jack and then the center was reinforced with 4x4s and 4 more jacks. The tank is gone, but that floor is still strong as ever:D

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Glad i got some help on this, it has me nervous. Here are some pics of the basment area directly underneath where the tank will go. In the pictres you can see some lights on the ceiling, the set closest to the camera is he area under where the tank will be.

I think that this would be easy... Just a matter of adding two more beams running the span from the wall to the cross support you posted before and using the same existing mounting areas, or running a steel I beam under the one main joist and supporting it on either side with 4x4s or jacks.

That would be the easiest. just thinking outside the impulse to support it directly underneath the tank.

In reality the floor would probably hold it without it, but you would get some bounce and an eventual sag... But I'm not an engineer, that would be CRVZ;)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I'm certainly not an engineer but is the extra support really needed? A 125 is not exactly a huge tank. Using the rough estimate of 10 pounds per gallon for water/rock you are only looking at only 1250 lbs. Not too mention that load is spread out over a 72" length. Maybe a single support centered under the beam the tank is sitting over would be a good idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So a steel I-beam running paralell under the joist with 4x4's at the ends of the I-beam? I could live with that. If i do that i will only have a 10ft span between the 4x4's and still have room to work.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Yup. Many things you could do... Hopefully you have some connections:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no connection, i'm on my own for this. If i don't want to do the I beam you think sistering the joists would work too? How many would i add?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
You could just add one to each side of the main one you pointed out would be taking the brunt of the weight. This is probably the cheapest way to go.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Tripling up the 2 joists directly under the tank would get you where you need to be according to your span. You would be able to support around 1800lbs within the 6' length of your tank.

I would also throw a support (4x6) underneath the beam supported end in between the tripled up joists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts