The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36 gallon corner tank setup (quarter cylinder) that has been setup as a freshwater tank for about 2 years. About 3 months ago, the water had an alge bloom (nothing on the glass, only super green water).

I tried everything to get rid of the green, including keeping the lights off for over a month straight. The corner it sits in has no access to sunlight.

After fighting so long, I removed all fish out of the tank and gave them to the LFS for $30 credit, and now want to swap this one over to salt.

I currently also have a 35 gallon Hex salt setup FO with a 18" strip standard flouresent (live rock just looks dull and brown, been running for about 5 years). The 35 hex has a wet/dry with hang over, and a seaclone 100 in the sump.

Also sitting next to that tank is a 55gallon reef setup with 48" 260watt PC lights, magnum350 for flo and a remora pro skimmer (no wet dry on this tank for 7 years)......

Questions:
1. will simply removing all gravel and wiping the tank out be enough to prep the tank for the change over?

2. what is the procedure for moving a wet/dry to a new system? I want to add the wet/dry to my 55 and get a new wet/dry for my 36 corner)

3. If I take rock out of the hex and 55gallon, and put them in the new 46 corner, how would I prep the rock? I want to take two or three big pieces of rock with my bubbletip and marroons over to the corner tank eventually....

4. would I be better off just putting everything from the hex (rock,wet/dry, lights and fish) into the new corner tank with new live sand?

I would like to attempt the change today, just need a little more advice before spening a bunch more money! :) :)

[email protected]!!!!

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Wow, you're trading spaces, lol.

If the FW set up has never had any copper-based meds in it, then rinse it well - you may want to wash it out with vinegar the first rinse - and you should be good to go. On the live rock that is brown I'd flush that with clean SW, several times. It's more than likely got a good build-up of detritis and nasties and why start out fresh with rock that will probably cause problems? The rocks you have with corals on them could go straight over to jump start the bacteria after the flushed rock has sat for a bit.

The wet dry is just getting transferred from SW to SW? If so, if it's reasonably clean you could use it for denitrifying power as well...although if it's really dirty I'd clean it as I think the potential nitrate build-up would be worse than less bacteria.

Does that make sense? I haven't had much caffeine yet! ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SW flush on the brown rock is a great idea, the rock is VERY instesting and has a super unique look. I didnt want to lose that rock. The wet/dry was cleaned out about 11 months ago, but I think I will clean it more and add it to the 55 gallon.

Now, the fish in the HEX include a purple tang (1 year old), a pearlscale butterfly (1 year), a foxface rabbit (8 months), a pink spotted shrimp goby (4 years and HUGE!!) and a 5 year old False Perc. Also a quite large cleaner shrimp. I know this is MUCH too many fish for a 36 gallon setup (even FO) so I will need to pick which ones will stay and which will need to be moved to a new system....

Any recomendations? Also, a small wet/dry and a good skimmer should be good for the 36 corner right?

Also looking for more feedback on my origial post.. thanks for the reply already.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
i would lose the Foxface and butterfly, they need swimming room.
yes a smaller wet dry and skimmer would be fine for it. if you can go with a system that can handle a much large tank, that way when you upgrade next time...
also if you are adding sand. add it last after all your LR. and if you can raise it above the sand that will help with keep junk building up around it.
it sounds like the "brown" rock just did not have enough lighting. once you move eerything opver you should have no problem as long as you clean it like alice said..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts