The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need a new pump for my Berlin HO skimmer - it needs abou 350 - 400 GPH. What is the best pump out there? and where can I get them?

Thanks in advance,
Tuan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check with Lise at Underwater Creations; she frequents this site and can give you info about pumps. (her banners are on this site); She set me up with some Gen X pumps which so far are proving to be top notch quality, way better than Rios at least...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Some people use Mag 5 or Mag 7. That'll feed your skimmer 500-700 gph. Most Berlin Skimmer users recommend these flow rates, instead of 350-400 gph.

:beer:

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I have a Berlin XL and the pump they provide is great for the job... I wouould look to replace it with the pump made for the job...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gotta watch the size of the pump and make sure it will fit in your tank. Here's the response I received from the distributors.

"If the pump is physically too big, then a Rio or the Turbo pump from Red Sea will work."

With that said, and you know my feelings on the Rios...

Thanks Chewie LOL

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Hi Tuan. Are you happy with the performance of your Berlin. There are some modifications that can be made to improve the performance. If you're interested I'll scare up a thread for you.:)

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Rick O said:
Hi Tuan. Are you happy with the performance of your Berlin. There are some modifications that can be made to improve the performance. If you're interested I'll scare up a thread for you.:)
Rick, can you dig up the thread for me? I have a berlin and it was an OK skimmer when I ran it with a Rio 2500. It was like getting a new skimmer when I started running it with an Iwaki 20 several years ago! Maybe your thread can make it even better.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Ohhhh..... I'd be interested in the tweaks also... I have a Berlin XL... I do like the Turbo pump that it came with as well...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I am using a mag 12 in a highly modified 50-250 red sea, works like a charm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rick O,

That's really helpful information. I've just ordered the part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts