The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my dilemma I have a 95g corner pent acrylic aquarium from clarity plus. The current lighting is 1 36" 2 x 96w PC fixture and 1 30" 2 x 65w PC fixture. I don't like how the lights don't illuminate the tank fully, block the access to the tank and don't allow me to use the canopy. I'm thinking that a T-5 retro may be the way to go but I need lot's of help on the best way to utilize the canopy with maximum light coverage. The tank has softies and a few LPS no plans for SPS
here are a few pics

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tims said:
a pendant MH would do nicly
Tim is it ok to use MH on the enclosed top? I'm also afraid that a pendant with out the canopy will spill to much light into the room?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i have 2 250 w metal halides in my canopy (retrofit) and i also have 2 computer fans in there and my temp doesnt rise more then a degree or 2.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm afraid of the acrylic on top warping Most tanks I see with MH have the more open Euro bracing I think it' s called

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
dobejazz said:
I'm afraid of the acrylic on top warping Most tanks I see with MH have the more open Euro bracing I think it' s called
Really I guess mine will melt any day now then:lol:
Kelli you are worrying over nothing my tank is not euro braced and i have 2 x 250 Mh s in it and 4 vhos.:thumbup:

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
yeah that is true, but if you have fans they wont nearly get hot enough to melt acrylic, or atlease mine hasnt gotten that hot, i can keep my hand directly under them with the fans on and i dont feel anything more then "warmth"

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats Cool to know the little cover for the top warped with the PC's so I figured MH would be bad The canopy is only 6 1/2" deep if that makes a difference and I would really like to use it since I paid for it :) Adding fans and vents are in the plan for the light upgrade.
Will MH be to strong for my softies?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
you might have to move the softies further down in the tank, but you will get amazing growth with halides compared to pc's

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Casey said:
Really I guess mine will melt any day now then:lol:
Kelli you are worrying over nothing my tank is not euro braced and i have 2 x 250 Mh s in it and 4 vhos.:thumbup:
Hmmm Maybe if I saw more FTS I would have noticed that :)

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree on the best way to get what You are looking for and the easier is go with MH's also. You could go with 2 HOI bulbs and actinics if You wanted to Kelli as far as melting I don't think You need to worry, Just don't lay them on the acylic. , and use fans to help, So many options You have with MH's

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I'm really showing my ignorance here :) what is a HQI bulb? and what wattage of MH ? The tank is 51" at it's widest point and 24" deep

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
dobejazz said:
Hmmm Maybe if I saw more FTS I would have noticed that :)
na you still cant see my lights unless I open the hood miss smarty pants.:D your starting to sound like Robert oh brother:doh:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts