The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into setting up a 180 gallon reef in my basement over the next few months. Can anyone make a recommendation towards the type of live rock and an online vender to purchase from. The site www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=24&pCatId=393 has some very good looking live rock at reasonable prices. I have been out of reefing for over ten years, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome to trt!

http://tampabaysaltwater.com/

Has a very good reputation for lr with lots of life (including undesirables like mantis shrimp).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dr.King
I used AnchoFish and got some really choice peices of Live Rock, no Apitasia(sp?), and I missed out on the Mantis Shrimp deal, not that I am complaining of course. They have a increadable selction of different types of live rock too. I wanted something a little unique so I got the Kaelini live rock and bought Indo-Pacific live sand for my 125. I am totally thrilled with both. I havent tried any other online retailers though. But the Live Rock I got looks a lot better shape and condition wise than a lot of the Fiji my buddies have gotten online from Flying Fish. Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
http://www.underwatercreations.com/live_rock.htm

lise has some good prices on rock, and she's a sponsor too :)

seriously though, she's got a lot of info about her live rock sources. her stuff is pulled from the ocean only AFTER you order. then boxed up and shipped to your door.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree with Jay as Lise(www.underwatercreations.com)is a sponsor here and we should support our sponsors whenever we can and Lise is great to deal with and more than willing to help in anyway she can and alot of fun to talk too!! Give her a try you won't regret it!!;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I will check all the sources mentioned for my live rock purchase.

A few more questions. How much live sand would you recommend for a 180 gallon reef tank? How deep should the substrate be? And why is live sand so darn expensive? Do I really need live sand in the aquarium?

Thanks again for all the advice :D

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Welcome to The Reef Tank :)

I guess you could say that there are two types of thinking on live sand. *Technically* LS is sand that has an active bacteria population. But most of us want LS that has worms and other critters in it as well.

The "LS" that is sold moist in prepackaged bags supposedly has an active bacteria population. Just speaking for myself, as I've never seen a study on the stuff, I think it's hooey and a waste of money. You'll get plenty of bacteria population going with your live rock.

Start out with all dead sand and live rock. If you can get some live sand cheap from somewhere local (LFS rock tanks, other reefers' tanks) you could add maybe 10 pounds to jump start your tank. But, if you want LS for the critter population, wait until your tank has cycled to add it, as the cycle is hard on those critters too.

After the cycle, you could skip the "sand" part and just go for the "live." One of our sponsors, Indo Pacific Sea Farms, and other online vendors offer detrivore kits with the animals most people want in their sand beds and you don't have to pay for the shipping of the weight on all that sand.

Hope this helps,

Alice

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dr.King

I am running 3 or so inches of Indo-Pacific and doing okay. I am hearing you on the Live Sand cost. I kinda cheated and bought most of my sand "dead" and just added a couple of bags of no kidding Live Sand with my 125 and I really like the results. You can use just "dead" sand as I did on my 55 gallon when I first started and get the bactreria going after a while. Personally, I'd go the Live Sand route for some of the sand due to the large amount of pods, mysis shrimp and worms, not to mention bacteria it will provide. Makes for a good jump start I think. This is just my opinion though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts