The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing CLS in both my 55 and 125 but they're serving different purposes in each. I'd love some links sites or gallary's that have pics/descriptions of there CLS. I'm just looking for inspiration. I have some ideas on how to plumb mine, but the more i see before I drill the better.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Here is the CLS on my 125.
The upper center is the overflow. the big one on bottom feeds the pump and the 4 on top are the CLS return.

Currently running a Reeflo Barracuda and a OM 4-way

3D rendering

Blueprint

inside tank:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
The coolest CLS I have seen is on Flyguys tanks. OM 8 way. Looks like a giant spider on the back of his tank.:funny:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Here are some pic's of the little CLS I put on a 40 breeder.

The SCWD with 4 discharges.

Here's one of the two intakes for the CLS. I put them of PVC 90's so that I could move them around and hide them behind LR. Don't pay attention to the foggy water. I was mixing up salt water when I took the pic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the links guys. I think that's a great idea there with the 90 degree intake, if I don't use a drain like what you'd see in a shower I'll be using that. Looking for flyguys now.

Keep them coming! Anyone have any being used as a floor sweep below and behind their LR?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
thanks for the links guys. I think that's a great idea there with the 90 degree intake, if I don't use a drain like what you'd see in a shower I'll be using that. Looking for flyguys now.

Keep them coming! Anyone have any being used as a floor sweep below and behind their LR?
If you're talking about a spray bar then yes, My CLS has 4 returns in the upper level of the water column and a spray bar fed by two 3/4 bulkheads. All are on a single manifold that is close to the tank for space and fed by a Barracuda. Two 1 1/2 intakes feed it. Be very selective of your intake screens as the common ones you see carried by most vendors create a great deal of suction force and are hazards. The spray bar is also somewhat elevated and acts as a lift for the rock. It is drilled with holes along the length of it and runs from one end of the tank to the other. NOTHING collects under or behind any of the rock.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome links motorslave, those are exactly what I'd like to do with my tank. Let me ask this, if I was to set something like this up on a 55g and a 125g, what pumps would you use? I need something quiet though! Everything will be in the stand or behind the tank so noise would be a big issue..

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
For the 125 I would recommend the Reeflo Barracuda, for the 55 maybe the Dart but that would be a lot in a 55. They are solid and EXTREMELY quiet pumps, well made. Probably the best pump I have ever had.
A note on the spray bar, they take a huge amount of flow to be effective. It has ben said that just having a 90 pointing down would be a more effective use of the flow compared to powering a spray bar. The water would hit the bottom and fan out. Of course there is no lift structure for the rock that way. I can say I have no complaints with my set up except I would like to have an Oceans Motion on it.

·
Cube Keeper
252 Posts
Here is a link to my 60 cube build thread.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/members-tanks/70077-dcmartinpcs-60g-starfire-cube-build.html

I run a dart on my 60 cube and it is the only flow in the tank short of the return...

I love the OM 4 Way and I run a Dart Gold. The motor on the dart gold is WHISPER silent and I think superior to the regular dart. I love it and I am glad I made the switch. The Gold series of any of the pumps are quieter and I think more reliable. You might want to check the difference in price and see if you can swing the extra.

Don

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the links guys, this is slowly coming together!

How many holes in the back of a 55g is too many? I'll have 3 total for my overflow, the bulkhead for my CLS and I'd like to put 2 more at the bottom of the back pane for a floor sweep. Will that negatively effect the integrity of the glass?

Also, would the Dart Gold be OK to use with a couple SCWD's? I'd run one SCWD to the 2 90degree floor sweeps and the other to 2 over the tank returns... or would I need 3 SCWD's with 2 of them going over the top?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I assume this is going to be a reef tank, correct? This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't put all this time and money into building a reef in a standard 55gl tank. The depth from front to back is to narrow. Especially when you're adding a CLS and spray bars. They're okay for FO tanks, but there's not enough room for a reef. You end up with a vertical wall of rock that's hard to place corals on. You can pick up a non-drilled 75 pretty cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts