The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add more actinic lighting to my JBJ 28 HQI, I am leaning towards the 2.18 PC upgrade from nanotuners but would like to know what some LED options would be, I have no clue what I would need or where to get it, anyhelp would be much appreciated. I want something to make my corals POP with color more. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I personally would just ask for 6 blue. but thats just me. I just built a fixture. heres some pics of mounting. Now, I have mine attached to a heatsink, most people do. But if you wanted to just run a aluminum sheet you could do that too, you just would need to use a fan which I assume your hood has already. If you dont want to use screws, they have thermal paste instead of thermal grease.

Attachments

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
agreed, as long as they arent getting a lot of ambiant heat from your hqi. If they are you could fry them. LED's are fragile imo.....but are increadibly efficient. I just replaced my 150 watt MH with 72 watts of LED's.....my tank runs during the middle of the day on a total of around 85 watts.......thats less than most reefers return pump. At night im pulling (with heater) on average 30-40 watts. thats because the heater has to kick in here and there. You could just buy two stunner ecoxotic strips.....just bolt them in and your done. Thats a LOT easier and you would get just about the same results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts