The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this thing tonight. This is the best picture I could get.

It is a semi-clear "tube" of some sort that extends out of it's host piece of LR and then attaches to the lower piece of LR. At this point I can see what looks like a mouth open up at the end (it sort of resembles a polyp or "flower"). It grabs a piece of debris off the LR and you can then see a ball travel back down the length of the tube to the rock where it originates from. The tube then retracts back into it's host rock.

I have a heck of a time trying to describe this stuff. I wish I could get a better picture but this is the best one I could get.

Any guesses as to what it is?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Just looks like a tube worm to me. I see them occasinally, but the tube is covered in sand and such. Now, does the tube grab the food, or something in the tube? Just wanted to clarify. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tube has a "mouth" of some sort that come out and grabs the food. The ball of food then travels down the tube (kind of like a snake eating a squirrel or something; you can see the buldge travel down the tube. I'll do some searching on tube worms and see what I find.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I have similar ones in my sand bed. Esp. when they are near the glass, I get to watch the grains of sand move up this tube and out on to the mound it is building. I think it is the same thing. But someone who knows more will hopefully chime in. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts