The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i need some help stating a reef tank. I have a 30 gallon hex tank that i would like to set up but i dont know much about the hobby, just from what i read in books. I have a filter and protein skimmer already from a 120 gal sw fish tank. N e advice or info would be great. I just dont understand the "parameters" for keeping water. i no about the live rock n sand i have a ro water filter set up so thats not a prob.

·
11,345 Posts
i think you need to identify a few things for yourself before too much help can be offered.

1. What kind of corals/fish or critters do you want to keep???

2. What kind and model of skimmer do you have from the 120, it may work more than adequately for your 30 but need more info.

3. What kind of filter are you taling about?? You most likely wont need it at all unless you plan on running caron or some other media with it. You will just be using live rock for your filtration, of which you are going to want 30-45 pounds of.

4. Sump or no sump??? A sump is a great place to hide equipment and to increase water volume but not totally necessary.

you are going to need to buy some stuff so you should probably just answer the questions above and then we can figure out what the best and/or most economical way is to do it. If you just start buying stuff you will inevitably be wasting some money without a game plan in place.

hope that h elps

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i went to the local fish store and i wound up buying sum things. They told me it was what i needed.
Filter- Aqua clear aquatics Pro 75 w/ pre filter(protien skimmer)
As for lighting i ordered a 175w Metal Halide Pendent light
It has a sump in the filter. Another question is i heard that the media balls are a bad idea.
i Have a uv sterilizer
Also i have 35-40 pounds of live rock
As for what coral i want nuthin realy crazy just like brain coral, mushroomss polyps, star polyps, another animal that realy is impressive is a bubble coral. Thats it just so i can get a hang of it than i will do a very very big tank. Another thing is do i need or what kind of trace elemnts do i need. i have purple up.? dont no if i need it
so now i hve the tank in cycle just with live rock and a light.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Are you running a sump.

It sounds like you have it covered. If you want the easiest system to run get a deep sand bed. run it about 5 inches deep. use aragonite special grade sea floor.

The light is good, I am not fermiliar with the skimmer. perhaps you will be running both skimmers on the system. The rock is good.

Fill the tank up with 1.024SG salt water and put your rock in it leave it sit for a couple weeks and then make up a fresh batch of water a day before your water change. empty your tank out into several buckets and set up a ruber maid that will hold all of your rock refill your tank with new water. Swish all the rock from bucket to bucket then back into your tank. Do that with all your rocks. do that every 2 weeks for 6 - 8 weeks or untill your buckets don't get dirty any more. Wait a week after your last water change and then add your sand and snails.

After that you will have an exceptionally clean system to start with.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok sounds like a plan the only prob is that i no im gunna fall in love wit it so im gunna upgrade. thank u for ur time i will send pics in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ummmm another quest is should i have actinic bulbs on it? does that help the tank? or is the metal halide enough?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
The actinic will halp YOU more than it will help the tank. They are for athstetics. They will make your corals florece. I would run them.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do not use any suppliments. before you can add suppliements you need good test kits for the elements you are adding. if you add them without a decent test kit you will mess up your water column and have to start over.

so far i have left my tank cycle for 4 months without anything in it but a few snails. i plan on finally putting fish in it tomorrow. the longer you keep the fish out the better the tank will be in the long run.

G~

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Geoff said:
so far i have left my tank cycle for 4 months without anything in it but a few snails. i plan on finally putting fish in it tomorrow. the longer you keep the fish out the better the tank will be in the long run.

G~
Nice plug Gee-Off

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
If you don't have them yet get some test kits. Salifert is the best. Ph,nitrite,nitrate,ammonia to start. Then when you get ready to add corals may want to invest in calcium, phospate, alkalinity.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
believe me i wanted to add fish a while back, but since i was going on several week long bike trips i felt i could not get them healthy enough to go a week without constant feeding. it was more by accident than really wanting to wait 4 months. :D

G~

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok cool. umm why is it better to keep fish out of the tank? also y does it take so long to cycle? i read that it takes a long time n e reason?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
It is purely biological. It is just how long it takes for those specific bacteria to grow.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
im just going to add my 2 cents real quick, you said you mentioned you may want a very large tank. Believe it or not the bigger the bigger water volume hence, easier to take care of. more water is easier to keep the parameters in sink and not go haywire.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i no its harder to pollute a ocean than a pond. the prob is that i have a 120 sw fish tank n i dont no if i want to get rid of my fish just yet cause ive had sum fish for 5 years n i dont want to let them go just yet. But on the other hand i want sumting thats is outstanding like ur tanks. I am greatful for everyone taknig time out to help. n i figure that if i can get a smaller tank to run for 2 years or so than i should have no prob doin a bigger tank. Also one more thing is it bad ifi have red hair alge on my lv on the reef tank? Ummm sorry i lied one more thing, i heard that the bio balls were not good for the reef. Should i take them out if so what do i put in place if ne thing?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Yeah dump the bio balls for more LR. After you do what I said with the LR you will not have any algae.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts