The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon marine tank that is about 4 months old. It went through a cycle and I was told by the lfs that its good to go. We have 75 lbs of live rock, 45 lbs of live sand, 2 koralia 450's, fluval 305 canister, 2x54w lights (one blue and one white), 2 clowns, 1 fire angel, 1 yellow tang, 1 fairy wrasse, 1 spot tail blenny, a few leather corals, 2 peppermint shrimp and a clean up crew of about 100. We noticed a build up of red slime and then we noticed we were losing creatures. 2 live rocks were not cured properly and we began to notice bad smells and webs forming. I pulled out the live rock and all animals and found several worms ( i think they were fire worms???). Removed them, did a 80 percent water change, refilled and put everything back in. Now my tank is going through a 2nd cycle. I am worried that i am going to lose all my livestock but I don't have another tank to put them in. I am checking water daily and as of today the readings are as follows:
ammonia: .5ppm
nitrite: 1ppm
nitrate: 30ppm
salinity: 1.023
ph: 7.8
temp: 81

besides using prime, what else can i do to speed up the process and keep all my livestock safe. they seem to ok so far but i dont want to take any chances.
thanks for your help and sorry for the longwinded message.

·
Registered
63 Posts
too much too fast! 4 months tank... you already have 6 fish, 2 shrimp, and 100:?!?!?!?! snails/hermits? Your ammonia should be 0.0, same with nitrite.

that said...

there are products on the market that are designed to get rid of red-slime. i have one in my cabinet called "chemi-clean" or something to that effect. your LFS should be able to give you an equivalent product.

your live rock _should_ have been completely cured before you added any livestock to the aquarium.

the worms living in your tank are most likely bristle worms and are harmless in small numbers.

my suggestions for your future success would be to see about getting rid of the slime, STOP ADDING FISH/LIVESTOCK... you're almost definitely going to get some cleaning crew loss (100??? i don't believe that and really hope you had an extra 0 on that number) my 40B has 4 snails in it.. anymore and they die off from starvation.

try to spot the dead snails and pull them before they can start rotting.

good luck, and read more TRT, and listen to your LFS less..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how can i tell if the snails are dead??? what can i do to help my fish through this process. Before i had a slime and worm problem, the tank had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. i learned the hard way that the lfs is only in it for the money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Smell the snail. You can tell if its dead. As far as red slime turn off lights for 3-4 days. It will be gone (was for me). GET a protein skimmer, Throw away the canister filter or sell it. Of course your nitrate is high you canister filter is the culprit.

Your flow is not enough, replace with 2 1050 koralia or just add 2 750gph powerheads. Your ammo is high I assume is because you have way to much livestock. Aim one of your powerheads at the surface to create a gas exchange, Aim the next at the LR to help filter the water.

As far as the fish leave them alone dont add anything to the water cause you will make it more stressful on them and you will be guaranteed to lose your angel first.

1 uncured rock isn't gonna hurt you. Just leave the water alone. Leave everything in there alone, but take out around 90 of your clean up crew. Hermit crabs are pointless too... Dont move the rocks unless you have 2 fish that are fighting. moving the rockwork around usually calms the fish down for a moment.

Do

·
Registered
644 Posts
You can also look at a product called seachem stability. It will add a lot of the good bacteria to you tank and help cycle things. It will not make it perfect but will help give it a jump start. Also as stated previously wayyyy to big of a clean up crew and to much live stock to fast. I have a 55 also and my clean up crew consist of 11 snails (assorted types) 9 hermits (assorted types) and 2 pepermint shrimp. That size crew does a good job for me. The only thing I may add to it would be a fighting conch a little later down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help. my lfs said that i needed a big cleanup crew. he sold us the following:
Dwarf White Leg Hermit Crab[/B]
[/B]
20[/B]
Blueleg Hermit Crab[/B]
[/B]
20[/B]
Nassarius Snails[/B]
[/B]
20[/B]
Turbo/Astrea Snail[/B]
[/B]
[/B]
Peppermint Shrimp[/B]
[/B]
2[/B]
Cleaner Clam[/B]
[/B]

i took out the uncured rock as there were about 5 of them.
as far as seachem stability, would that speed up the cycle process without hurting the fish??

·
Administrator
47,668 Posts
Sorry that your LFS has led you into overdoing it. 4 months is awfully young to support a bio load like that. Now you have a tank that is over stocked and probably over fed as well aand now you having a Cyanobacterial bloom:(
While reducing lighting and increasing circulation can help, the bottom line is it is thriving because there is an abundance of food and waste for it to thrive on. You need to deal with that to get it under control .

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes the seachem does help cycle it but it only adds the good bacteria and nothing can "colonize" or set up the proper bio-ecosystem except for time. It should not hurt the fish. I add some in every time I do water changes and add fish/snails/hermits/anything. It has not caused a problem for me. My reef tank is only 4 mths old but I have been using the same product on my fresh water tank ever since seachem came out with it. I have never had adverse effects and have yet to lose anything besides a snail or two in my reef tank thus far

·
Registered
919 Posts
For your 55, 5 astrea and 5 nassarius are plenty. 20 crabs total would be mor ethan enough. Always start with small amounts as it is much easier to add than subtract and subtracting snails by death is very bad for your system. The crabs will probably help kill the snails over time looking to take their shells.

Definitely stop with the Prime and other additional dosing as you want things to develop on their own. Small water changes weekly should be plenty to keep things stable and complete the full cycling. Understand that everything takes time and even after 4 months there will be some continued cycling activity, especially as you have added so much livestock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts