The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75RR with a 20g sump. I am intrested in building a closed loop for this system. I have no idea on what brand or what size pump i would need for my return pump from the sump. or what kind or what size pump for the closed loop. I will be purchasing a MR2 skimmer from MRC in the near future. I will attach a photo of a closed loop i found that i would like to almost duplicate. On this photo the PVC outputs will be going over the top of the tank. like on a HOB CPR skimmer or HOB CPR fuge. I would rather not try do drill holes in the tank. But the tank does have on corner mega overflow. and 2 holes drilled on the bottom.

here is a photo of the tank and stand without the canopy

and here is the photo of the CL i want to duplicate

any help would surely help, since i am not a good DIY person so this should be an intresting project for me to attempt. What size PVC should i use???

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I would run a mag 24 and not use that SCWD. I would have 4 out puts 3/4 inch PVC and one intake 1 1/4 inch PVC.

·
11,345 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
I would run a mag 24 and not use that SCWD. I would have 4 out puts 3/4 inch PVC and one intake 1 1/4 inch PVC.
I agree.

To be sure though.....Do you mean two holes IN the overflow??? Or two other holes???? In either case..how big are the holes?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
DevilBoy said:
I will be purchasing a MR2 skimmer from MRC in the near future. I
Wow, Nice for a 75 gallon system. As far as the return pump for your tank it will depend on your skimmer pumps (in my book) and you will want to run slightly less return than your skimmer can process.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you both would run a mag24 ? i wanted to get a mag also. but some people have told me the mags have 2 problems with them.

1. when ran externally (like i will) they leak
2. they use alot of electricity

ok so my intake tube should 1 1/4 pvc? how long should i make the input?
the 4 3/4 ouputs wouldnt be overkill? i already will have 1 output from the corner mega overflow kit. what size pvc should i use for the rest of the CL ? 1" and reduce down to the 3/4 outputs?

No, the holes are not drilled in the overflow, they are drilled in the bottom of the tank. as for the sizes of them i have no idea, since they both have bulkheads attached them.

Andy from MRC has been helping me to decide on a skimmer for the system. I was considering going with the MR1 and Andy told me the skimmer would do great for the 75, but if decide to upgrade tank size in the future i would probably need a bigger skimmer. So i looked into the MR2 and started talking to Andy again and told him i would have a problem running the MR2 with the inside height of my stand only 24 1/2". Andy told me he can mod the height down on the MR2 to about 22 1/2" minus the quick disconnect, so i would not be able to have this feature on the skimmer. Pump for the MR2 Andy suggested to me the mag 18 or the gen x PCX 40 would be fine. so one of them pumps i will use for my skimmer. And knowing that what size pump for the sump return would work

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Yes, a mag 24 with ball valves on each of your out puts. 4 out puts.. your corals (and you) will love it. I have mag 18's on mine and I wish I would have gone with 24's.

None of mine leak, I have been using mag drives for 7 years.

They are not the cheapest to run but they are compact and easy to work with.

I think the biggest problem is noise and I have 3 mag 18s under my tank and they are not that loud at all. My over flows are louder and they are quiet.

I would use a 1 1/4 in pipe off the pump to a T with 2-1 1/4 in T's to 4-3/4in out puts.

As far as the lenth of the intake I would make it the entire lenth of your tank to reduce localized suction. Put it about mid way down so you can access it but still have it out of sight.

If you run a mag 18 on your skimmer I would run a mag 18 for your return. You can have 4 return out puts as well. You will have a very versitile flow pattern.

Are you going BB or sand?

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
three90s&125sump said:
1. I would use a 1 1/4 in pipe off the pump to a T with 2-1 1/4 in T's to 4-3/4in out puts.

2. As far as the length of the intake I would make it the entire lenth of your tank to reduce localized suction. Put it about mid way down so you can access it but still have it out of sight.

3. Are you going BB or sand?
1. I really dont think i understand what you are trying to explain here? Whenever you get sometime would you be able to make a drawing of what you mean? i understand the 1 1/4 off off the pump to a T. You confuse me with the rest.

2. You mean the length , or height of the tank? If you are referring to length how in the heck would i make it 48" long? and wouldnt the be a problem plumbing it that way?

3. I will be using Oolitic sand as my sandbed. This is why i must watch my flow rates as i do not want any sandstorms. So for being such a pain.

Do you know if they make pvc in black? Since i painted the back of my tank black, and the white pvc will clash to much for my liking.

aproximately how much more electricity do mags take up? if they take up alot then i dont know if i want to run 3 of them

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And then when this project is over and completed you can help me with a DIY on my canopy with a retro fit kit.... :D

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Not me, I have only done one retro and it was a pre wired Ice cap 660 VHO. I wish I could help with that.

click here and read post number 46

Just make the intake as long as possible

I recommend using aragonite special grade sea floor sand. It is what I use. I love it and it is extremly easy to keep clean.

As far as the electricity goes: I have 3150 watts of lights (on timers), 1 mag 36 pump, 3 mag 18 pumps, 3 sedra 9000 pumps (skimmer) and 2 fans that run all the time (not to mention my central air) and my electricity bill has only risen about $100 per month. I think electricity is moot unless you are... Hmmm, like me.

Alot of people "paint" thier PVC with purple PVC primer. Either way it will be covered in coraline before too long.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have been doing some reading and i just probably ran into a situation here, or maybe i didnt. My Mega overflow can only support 600gph? so would i still be able to use a mag 18 as a return ?

·
11,345 Posts
no you cant. you could get away with a mag 12 IF you were T'ing off of it and running a canister filter and a chiller off the pump as well. You need would need a way bigger overflow otherwise......recircing the water in the skimmer is not a big deal and IMO a mag 18 is WAY too big of a return pump for a 20 gallon sump. Im willing to bet that 3-90's didnt catch the 20 gallon sump part. You would have to do some SERIOUSLY creative water routing in the sump to not have massive air bubbles in your display torquing that much water through a 20 gallon sump. I say either get a bigger sump or go with a mag 5 or 7 for the return pump . Recircing the water through your skimmer isnt altogether a bad thing. It will definitely process all of the water that way.

Another idea is to get a mag 9.5 or 12 and run a chiller and canister filter(for carbon and or phosban) off of it so you dont have to have other smaller pumps to do so.

I for a long time ran a mag 12 with a overflow that could do 1200 gph on a 80 gallon system with a MR-2. That mag 12 also ran a chiller taking 300 gph or so off of the return flow.

i need to dig for them but i can find you some pics of the set up....might help a little......

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
My mega flows are rated at 1300GPH. I should have caught the small sump with it being in the cabinate for a 75 gallon tank. I would run a mag 9.5. Just put a ball valve on the return line so you can control the head.

I would also concider getting a 30 long tank for your sump. It will give you 12 more inches to work with on your baffles.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there you go ruining a perfectly good tank by putting sand in it. ;)

i would have suggested getting a Velocity T3 for the closed loop and putting a couple of eductors on the outputs. no problems with flow then. you would be getting close to 2500 gph out of a 1000gph pump. yeeehaaawww. :D

G~

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:doh: :help: oh boy now yall have confused the heck outta me. I bought the system used and a return pump was in the purchase of the tank,stand, and canopy. The return pump i never have heard of so i would like to change it. Its a CustomSea Life. He told me he thinks it was a 700gph pump.

So now if i go with the MR2 skimmer the mag 18 pump would be to big even for the skimmer?

Dont the velocity pumps give off alot of heat?

There already is a ball valve on the return line with the spa flex hose. i think it will show it in the picture i posted.

Geoff, why would i ruin it by putting sand in it?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
If andy recomends a mag18 with his skimmer then you should use one.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
is that CustomSeaLife an external pump with a blue body and a black volute? if it is, you my friend have a great pump. this is also known as a Velocity pump. amazing pumps. i have 3 running on my system right now. you will never find a quieter pump on the market.

they do add heat to the system. the only drawback, but so does any submersible pump. i find the tradeoff well worth it. they are nearly indestructible and ultra quiet.

if it is a Velocity pump than i would through an eductor on the return also. :D lets see, i think we can have that tank up to about 5000gph of flow pretty easily.

i am not a big fan of sand. i have kept every type of sand bed in my tanks over the years, except plenum. a BB tank is by far the easiest tank to take care of. very little maintenance needed overall. with the amount of flow possible with that tank there is a good chance that you would seldom have to siphon out detritus from the main display. you could do all of your water changes from the sump alone!!

G~

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont know if it is a velocity pump or not. I will snap a photo of it and put it up within the hour.

BB tanks just dont look athesically pleasing to me. they dont look natural. I am a big fan of some of the sand shifting animals, like the gobies.

5000GPH an hour!!!! thats like 52x turnover. I wouldnt be able to put my hand in there without it getting blowing away..... i dont think i really need that much, since i have been told i can not put a MH retro into my canopy, the inside only measures 7.5" in height. so i am stuck with a 4x110w VHO retro

I left Andy from MRC an email today about the MR2 and the flow thru rate on my 20g sump and what pumps and flow rates for the pumps i should use. I hope he will get back to me in the next few days.

So in the mean time could i go ahead and buy my PVC for the closed loop?? 1 1/4" ID correct?? should i look for SCH 40 or SCH 80 ?

i will be going from 1 1/4" to 3/4" on my 4 outputs into the main tank.
on the ball valves should i get 1 1/4" also, or look for 3/4"

Thanks guys i really appreciate your help!!! you will most likely have to walk me thru this process. Since my 46g i have i never did anything to it. but buy a CPR skimmer, and the Aqualight 2x96w PC lights. and that was it. so i am new to building my own stuff...

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I would put 1 ball valve on each of your out puts so you can control them individulally. Schedule 40. You can do the MH in the canopy with 4 fans. You can make a riser for your canopy to keep them a little higher. The VHOs will work but the MH will look much better. Every thing else looks right.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts