The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally threw the leaking reactor that we made as a club in the garbage and built a new one. I am using the same CO2 equipment that a bunch of us ordered. However, I am having a very hard time getting the bubble count to stay steady. It was doing this on the old reactor as well. I have the regulator set at 5psi. However, over the span of 15 minutes, the bubbles will slow and stop. I am assuming this is the needle valve. This is the regulator, needle valve, solenoid, bubble counter all in one deal. I guess if I have to, I can build a quick bubble counter and change out the needle valve. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Regulator

Does the regulator stay at 5 psi? Most regulators have a hard time at such a low pressure, i would try setting it at 15 or 20 psi and see if it holds there better. With the flow slowly bleeding off I would bet its the regulator.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Lowest I have gone is 8psi. I have noticed that after initially setting the psi guage, sometimes it is slow to react and the settting is actually lower. After waiting 30 minutes or longer need to readjust it. Usually after the second adjustment the psi stays and should produce consistant results thereafter....

Next is the bubble count. After setting your initially bubble count it is not uncommon for it to slow down some. This is because initially there was little pressure in the reactor. Once the pressure builds up say after a day or so usually required readjusting the bubble count. Once you have it set initially though usually don't have to touch it anymore.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here it is, blurry as heck, but after that the camera shut down, time to recharge the batteries!

Guage on the right goes to 10psi. notice the built in solenoid and needle valve, bubble counter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Holy $#%#$ Patrick, the psi gauge is the other set of numbers (can't recall if they are the inside or the outside numbers on the blueline/milwaukee regulators)...the needle should be around the 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock position.

You have been reading KG/CM^2....which correlates to about 140 PSI!!!!!

Greg

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hey Patrick....if that is a blueline and the instructions said run it at 10 on the outside numbers, it is WRONG....they have since changed their instructions and say 10 on the inside numbers. I had mine about 8 on the outside and got erratic bubbles....I readjusted to 15 in the inside and have a steady bubble rate now.....HTH...Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.