The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. It is set up infrontof a window so it has LOTS of brown algae. I currently have 4 hermit crabs and a small bumblebee snail. I was wondering if anybody knows of an effective and relatively inexpensive option to get rid of the algae. I planned on getting a turbo snail and possibly a lawnmower blenny. Its slightly off topic but will i have to feed the blenny or will it eat the algae for its food? And by the way i have some zoa colonies so anything i add will have to be reef safe.

Any input is welcome

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
hey and welcome to trt!

first a coupla questions. what kind of water are you using, tap, ro only, or ro/di? how old is the tank? are there any fish in it? what kind of food are you feeding and how often? how much live rock? what do you have for flow in the tank? how much/what kind of sand? what is the filtration situation? what is your maintenence routine like? do you siphon the sand bed and how often do you do water changes? extra cuc members arent really the way to solve an algae issue, imo. yes, they may eat the algae, but they also poo, which releases nutrients back into the water to fuel more algae.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
What he just said...might just be new tank uglies...the important thing is to get rid of nutrients, not recycle it thru a clean up crew...and welcome!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using tap water to save a few bucks. The 46 gal is a couple of weeks old but i had a 30 gal for almost a year before i tranfered the stuff over. I have a three stripe damsel a blue damsel a blue velvet damsel and a firefish goby. I feed mostly flake foodbut also baby brineshrimp occasionally. I have 25 lds of liverock, i know i should have more, the flow is from a small powerhead, notsure what kind, and my fluval404 filter. Sand is a mix of cc and aragonite. Again fluval filter I frequently have to clean the sandbed and the glass. Water changes are about 2,3 gal per week. And like i mentioned when i had the 30 it was on a wall with minimal algae problems when i switched to infront of the window algae grew like crazy.

Thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
well, I think we may have the culprit, at least in part. tap water. imo, tap water has no place in a saltwater tank. its all about nutrients. you are just pumping nutrients into your tank via the water for the algae to feast on. depending on your water source, there may be nitrates, phosphates or a number of other things in there that are fueling the algae. water is the biggest, most important part of our systems and it really doesn't pay to skimp here. tap water will most likely end up costing more in terms of time and money than the ro/di unit will.

for the money, the $130 refurbished unit from www.spectrapure.com is the absolute best bargain in this hobby.

do you know how much flow that powerhead is pushing? it may not be enough for the 46g tank. low flow can sometimes cause algae issues.

how often are you cleaning the canister?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks
i will probably start using ro/di water
Im not sure how much water the power head is moving but its probably not enough. i am probably going to get a new one. :fish:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts