The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a wierd one.

Last night around 10:00pm I get a phone call. The caller(name escapes me) claimed to have poured the driveway on a house that is under construction 3 doors down from mine. He goes on to say that they left the water running and asks if I know my neighbors. I go on to inform him that when I drove by at 6:30 there was no concrete poured. He says that he was there finishing the driveway until 7:30. I tell him that I've been building and renovating houses for 20 years and that there is no way he poured a driveway in an hour, he gets very devensive, insults me, and then hangs up. This morning I check with my neighbors and no one else received a similar phone call. I tried to call the guy back and get a message "the party you are calling has temporarily disconnected their service". WHat could this guy have been fishing for? Yes, I went and double checked the driveway was not poured.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Weird, John.

How could he know who lived three doors down from the house he said he worked on to make the call to you in the first place?

Did he give you the disconnected number or was it on your caller ID?

Makes no sense at all.

Dick:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Either wanted you out of the house or wanted to know if they were home very strange.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
he, as casey said, probably wanted you out of youre house for some reason. Keep you doors locked, if he calls again, dont fuel him and just hang up, he will learn eventually that you will not come out of the house at that time. Dont even bother calling the authoriteis becuase people like this are very hard to trace.

The fact that when you called him and there was disconnection... etc... means that he is someone up to something that he doesent want people to find out about.

We have been having a similar problem here at our house. We keep getting these phone calls (on a daily basis at last) from a women who says we are being sued because of unpaid debts. She says for my dad to call her back, so we did, and it has that temoreraly disconnected service thing. We call the credit card company and the bank and they tell us we are paying what we are soposed to and we dont owe anything. Probably id theft.

·
11,345 Posts
Hmmm...bright side is you DO have his phone number...."temporarily" disconnected or not.....

do you have kids or a wife that is alone at home often???? I would tell the police if so......they can trace the number and run a check on the owner i believe in a circumstance such as this. Its really not a bad idea to have this on record should anything happen in the near future even if it was just property damage.........
Thats weird enough i dont know how much i would want to try to contact them yourself........could instigate something that wouldnt otherwise happen should you try to call him from your phone or even payphones until he answers.....
\
????

wierd....good luck with that

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I think he was just trying to get you our of your house so he could get in.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries about wife and kids just little old me. All 6'2" 220 of me and 12 gauge. So feel free to come on in who ever you are. We can have a party.

Fishdaddy, you can find phone #'s on the net with just an address. You can also find names to go with phone #'s via the net.

·
Administrator
46,675 Posts
Like Bill says, report this to the authorities, that way its on record if anything happens done the road. Unfortunatly if you have to defend your castle you will have to prove you were in the right, and reporting it shows you are playing by the rules

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Local precinct will not take a report. Had to call 911 so they can send an officer buy my place. Arggghhhh. I'm going to be late for the game now. Go Braves!

·
11,345 Posts
This probably sounds awful and paranoid, but i have had reasons i wont go into in the past.........

I have a recorder tapped into my phone lines, it can be shut off with the flick of a switch which is accessible to anybody in my house, but for anyone not knowing this.....SMILE...youre on CANDID RECORDER. Any phone solicitation as well, tell them they are being recorded as you tell them to delete your phone number and their little "it will take weeks to get rid of it in our system" story will strangely disappear. haha

Im also the same guy who mails mass amounts of junk mail to people who provide prepaid envelopes along with their junk mail. It takes no more effort than it does to weed through it and throw it away, AND it makes me happy to know that it costs them money. I dont throw any junk mail away....i mail it.

·
Super Moderator
26,846 Posts
Good that you reported it, John. It'll be interesting to see what the 911 folks say/do.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
yup, talk to your neighbors and everyone keep their eyes open for strangers walking around etc... keep the 12 guage locked and loaded, me... I prefer my big stick with the knob on the end.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
seems like a prank or just a wrong number, doesnt seem viable to call someone and tell them some bs just to get them out of the house for a few minutes, if he wanted to rob you, he could just sit outside till you left, not hard, why call and give you a long story to make you go 2 houses away only to come right back, im voting for wrong number, and the guy is an ***.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Very weird, but I think that it was a wrong number as well. Not sure what the authorities would do since no crime was commited and no threats made or implied.

·
11,345 Posts
John, i dont want to bother you any more than you already have been but dont turn your back on this anytime too soon. If for some reason you have any REAL enemies, maybe it wasnt your house they wanted vulnerable but instead you on the street. Most likely thats not it, but dont take for granted that it was a prank call.

Just becasue Im paranoid doenst mean that they are NOT following me..........:arg:

If you DO have any enemies im sure you know about them and have already been down that path of thinking though.......

I went down a not very fun road (over a girl of course) with a abusive ex husband meth addict and it made for a very UNFUN year of my life. She ended up ripping me off for countless amounts of money and ended up back with him when it was all through.........i wouldnt beat her so she needed someone who would.......as well as someone who would pack the pipe for her........

STUPID STUPID BILL!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts