The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 70g tank with glass lids. I bought the Maxspect 160w LED R420R light to provide the lighting needs for my tank.

I was in a different LFS store yesterday than I bought my light from and the guy asked me what I had mine set to. I told him I had it on the "Automatic" setting that it suggests in the book which creates a curve that basically goes from 0% to 100% in the 1st channel (the white/yellower temps) on a gradual curve and then goes back down to 0% for the evening. I have the 1% "moon lighting" setup for the 2nd channel all night as well. He immediately and quite firmly explained that I should absolutely not have my light set that high on that channel and might be creating a stressful environment for my coral/fish. He has a couple of tanks in the store and says that he never has it above 60% on that channel.

So my questions are these: 1. Do I run the risk of doing damage (other than excess algae growth) with the light getting to that setting? 2. What are good settings for the 6 time places in the "Auto" curve? 3. Can I keep the 2nd channel high in "daylight" hours? 4. Do glass lids block any UV (especially with all of the little water drops that gather due to precipitation)?

Thank you in advance for any educated/experienced-based opinions.

PS. Keeping everything from SPS to mushrooms and obviously some fish/inverts as well.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
1. Do I run the risk of doing damage (other than excess algae growth) with the light getting to that setting? Yes, you can bleach out and kill your corals.

2. What are good settings for the 6 time places in the "Auto" curve? If they light is new and the inhabitants are not used to it you generally want to slowly introduce them to it with power settings of 25-30% at max and gradually increasing to maybe 50%.

3. Can I keep the 2nd channel high in "daylight" hours? Like above, you want to slowly bring the lights up to a higher power starting quite low and gradually, over weeks, bump the power up.

4. Do glass lids block any UV (especially with all of the little water drops that gather due to precipitation)? I hope the precipitation is not due to the intensity of the lights...but generally the glass does not cut much UV at all.

So, my suggestion would be set the blues to come on at approx 9am and transition to whites about 11am and then approx 5-7pm go back to blues until 9-10pm and fade to dark. In the beginning the strength should be no more than 20-30%, then each week you can increase by about 5% until maybe at the highest at approx 50% or so.

This all depends if you are using the legs, which are quite short, or hanging it from above at whatever distance above the tank. Basically the legs are quite short and the light can be intense but suspended may vary depending on height.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts