The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to use a 10 gal rubbermaid bin for LR. I want the water to overflow into a pvc tube that runs through the bottom of the bin and back to the sump. What should I use to make the hole in the bottom of the bin waterproof? Some sort of silicon caulk? What about joining the various pieces of pvc together? Do I use the standard glue, or do I need something for salt water? I am totally new to this, thanks for bearing with me!:read: :) Thanks again for all the good advice.
Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
You might get away with using a standard bulk head. That would be your best bet. I would be tempted to get a 10 Gal glass aq drilled though.

Good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
I third the bulkhead, just make sure it's on a smooth surface with no curves and yes you can use regular PVC cement for the PVC tubes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is a bulkhead? I'm using a plastic bin by rubbermaid, not a glass aquarium.;) I want to run the pvc through the bottom, but I need to make it waterproof. Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
See this link for what a bulkhead is: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/327
This was the first one I found on a google search, so I'm not saying this is the best or cheapest place to buy them. You should be able to get one at your local fish store or even Home Depot or Lowes. One half of the bulkhead goes inside the rubbermaid with the rubber washer and the other half goes on the outside. The PVC pipe then fits into the bulkhead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts