The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I live in an apartment and my dad went and bought me a tank. It looks bad but I'm hoping I can get it up good. I want to do a saltwater tank with small fish. maybe two clown fish, live or dead rock, corals and whatever clean up crabs or snails or whatever other fish I can get in it that I like. I'm thinking it's a 20-30ga tank if that. I don't really know how to tell by just looking at the tank. :(
Anyway here are some pictures.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I don't know, the tank is at my parents house, I will probably get it tomorrow. I was just wondering if someone could eyeball it and tell. Right now that I need to know where to get started.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Once you get the tank, figure it's volume in inches (cubic inches) and divide by 231.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
halide, definately halide. that is preatty deep.

but where to get started 1st place is to READ. purchase a recent book.

unlike many hobbies this one involves a large amount of information, for setup, maintenance, and care.

these may help also

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/the-reefkeepers-rulebook-164959.html
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...-is-detritus-and-where-does-it-go-163806.html
and i can't find the other one on things no one told you about reefing, or something like that.

emphasis on research.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
halide, definately halide. that is preatty deep.

but where to get started 1st place is to READ. purchase a recent book.

unlike many hobbies this one involves a large amount of information, for setup, maintenance, and care.

these may help also

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/the-reefkeepers-rulebook-164959.html
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f...-is-detritus-and-where-does-it-go-163806.html
and i can't find the other one on things no one told you about reefing, or something like that.

emphasis on research.
what does halide mean and what's wrong with it being so deep? I've read a lot but people use acronyms and I'm the type of person that needs stuff spelled out lol.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Nothing is wrong with the depth. But you're interested in keeping corals and halides, well metal halides are strong lighting that penetrate deep. Led's may work but my knowledge is limited on them.

Now they are not necessary to keep corals. But if you progress it's better to have them now rather than later.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got the measurements but don't remember how to come up with the gallons...math is my weak point.
The back and right side are 22inches each and the other 3 sides are 13 inches and it's 22-23 inches tall.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
well if you do a 22x22x23 box that comes out roughly 47 or so gallons. then you subtract roughly half of the 9x9x23 box for the pentagon shape on the front which is about 4 (whole 9x9 is roughly 8) so im gonna say thats a 44 gallon pentagon. also the only tank close to these dimensions that i can find on the internet so thats my guess

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah I was thinking it was in the 40-45gal range. Now I need to plan everything out. I want to start with live sand or anything else that you all might suggest this is my first tank but I don't want to go fresh water. I like reef tanks and that's what I want to do. Yes I know they're more difficult but this is want I want. Might as well start out strong and no I want have that many fish or coral in the beginning. I was thinking two clown fish and maybe one coral and some inters. What equipment would you recommend starting out. I don't want top of the line because this is my first tank and I don't feel that I need it. I know I need to get some power heads to get the water moving but what else do I need and you all recommend?

Yes I'm going to take everything out, that came with the tank. I think the guy had a freshwater tank but it's been sitting up for a while. I want to go as cheap as possible but as quality all so (ironic I know). I know with your help it can be done, I'm a very quick learner and I'm sure I can get it done. I won't be adding any fish or coral until I know the tank is fully cycled and the parameters are perfect.

I need to pick everyones brain.

live rock/dead rock?
live sand or other substrate?
What do I need for filtration?
Lighting? (Want to go corals so I need some lighting that can get deep down there)
Sump? (Limited on space)
The area under the tank is 16x12x28 and that's all the space I have to house equipment that doesn't need to be seen. You make recommendation and I'll check craigslist to see if people have what I need first before going to the store. There's also a mom and pop pet store that my dad and the owners are friends so I'll see if they'll let me get somethings at there cost price.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I always like dead rock, that way you know what your putting in your tank, and you can always add a few really nice rocks to seed them with.

filtration, just the rock, good flow, and a good protein skimmer, will do it!

Lighting, something like this maybe...
http://www.customaquatic.com/estore...ssionid=3A08A7BEE6940CF25E1496774FE88FA5.jvm1

Sump, really not needed, but is very nice to have, someone did a 5g bucket sump in his that worked out well...

+1 to read read, research and more reading....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Believe me I've read and read.

How come you say no sump. That seems to be the in thing to do. I want to make it as self sufficient as possible.

I'm getting my live rock from a lfs and getting it at 2.75/lb

And I want live rock because I'm trying to get the tank up as soon as possible. I want to be able to put a clown fish in it by the 28th of my (birthday party for my son).

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
any recommendations?
Here is one, sorry if it's a little blunt. Get another tank.

Corner, hex, pentagon and all the other odd shaped tanks make for poor reef tanks. The dimensions make lighting, flow and setup difficult since you will have few equipment options.

Tall, skinny tanks like a 55g are also not the best size for a reef tank. A wider (front to back) and shallower tank just makes for a better reef setup. A wider tank also gives you more room in the stand for a sump.

I'd avoid odd length tanks like 30in or 60in as well. Most lighting fixtures come in 2,3 or 4ft.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the tank was given to me by my father so I'll have to make due with what I've got. I've seen plenty of corner reef tanks that are 30h 40h.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Here is one, sorry if it's a little blunt. Get another tank.

Corner, hex, pentagon and all the other odd shaped tanks make for poor reef tanks. The dimensions make lighting, flow and setup difficult since you will have few equipment options.

Tall, skinny tanks like a 55g are also not the best size for a reef tank. A wider (front to back) and shallower tank just makes for a better reef setup. A wider tank also gives you more room in the stand for a sump.

I'd avoid odd length tanks like 30in or 60in as well. Most lighting fixtures come in 2,3 or 4ft.
Sumps make it easier to care for the tank IME, but they are not required, I have ran a few tanks without them...

Jadinop - has a good point, if you can the bigger size will make things easier, but hex reefs have been done in the past...

I have a 55g, and the tank is VERY skinny, I'm wanting a 129g so I can have some room in it! (I built the stand for a 129g, the wife just dose not know that yet)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I'm not saying it hasn't been done before but few people would choose to go with these odd shaped or tall/skinny tanks the second time around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts