The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project is likely too ambitious for my first attempt at building my own tank, but if I figure if I don't love the final product, then there is no point to building the tank. I have all of my plans below, and the questions right after. I got the idea based on the Biorb Life 30 seen below.

I really like the modern styling of this tank, and wanted to do a similar design, but make it a Kreisel tank. My basic idea can be seen below.

Let me explain Biorb Life 30, the Kreisel Life (yeah, I just made that up). The similarities between the two tanks are few. The basic shape, and using colored acrylic are about it. After that I went in a new direction.

The bold black lines split the face and back of the tank. The horizontal bold line represent a physical break where everything above can actual lift off to be a lid. The vertical bold line is just a bonding of clear acrylic to white acrylic. The white acrylic on the left side is there to cover the view of the submersible water filter and gravel (or other medium for bacterial growth). This white acrylic also extends over this left filter compartment past the lower left curve to keep clean lines.

The grey vertical line and curve are inside of the tank an are a barrier between the filter and the habitat. The dotted line represents a 100 micron net which water is allowed to pass through to reach the filter again. Water is then brought up the pump and poured back in and down over the net towards the lower left curved corner to take a circular flow around the kreisel tank.

I am unsure how thick of acrylic I should use. I am looking to keep a few small jellies and plan on the tank being between 10-15 gallons and have heard anywhere between 1/4" to 1/2" with some people saying it depends on gallons and others on height. I also want to double check that I need to use cell-cast acrylic. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the bends? Oven heating or a heat gun? Can I get these bends with 1/2" acrylic? Am I way over my head with this one?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure the exact rules on depth with acrylic, but with a tank that small 1/4 inch is probbably more than you need. The thickness is based mostly on depth, but since acrylic tends to bend, the length of any section is something to be very aware of. For something this small though, it's not a problem. Bending it is fun, but getting the exact shape you want may be a challenge. You may want to get some scrap pieces and do some practice trying to get the shape you want.

If you can do it in small areas A heat gun is the way to go. If not, you can oven heat it (i heat the oven to 300 & give it about 5 minutes), then the challenge is to immediately shape the whole piece and hold it in that shape while it cools. to do that you have to find something to form it around, and you may need more than two hands to hold it in place while it cools. I have done several pieces this way, the challenge is always what to form the piece on. If you make a wood form first, you may be able to get exactly what you want, but its loads of prep work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
gluck i say after you buy a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and weld (super expensive) and put the man hours in the bIorB looks tempting at 69.99 lol subscribed BUILD THIS THING!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it all depends on the amount of bow you can handle in the sides of the tank. you will see bowing with 1/4" acrylic if the non-supported lengths are more than 12" in length. what exactly are the dimensions you are looking at?

i am a bit worried about how you have the flow designed. the way you have it there the flow created will keep wastes from getting to the "filter". i am also a bit confused on all of those dark black lines. why have them at all?

create another curved area in the upper left part of the tank so that the pump output flow curves up and around along the top of the waters surface. you will need to make this curved piece removable in order to get to the pump. the only screen you would need would be down in the lower left curved area you have shown. this is where the wastes will be pulled into the pump area.

have you done a search for Kreisel plans in this forum yet? i know that there have been a few over the years. i am not sure if i ever posted my plans on here or not. i will double check.

G~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts